Six

*Jack's POV*

"Quickly, quickly!" North laughs, leaping from roof to roof.

"Hop to it rabbit, I'm five teeth ahead!" I shout sliding down the side of a roof and past Bunny.

"And I'm two ahead of you," (Y/N) laughs, flashing into view beside me. She disappears almost immediately, but she's there just long enough for me to catch her smile. It's been a while since she's looked like that, so bright and happy. Nothing weighing her down, just pure joy.

"Keep up, Jack!" she calls from ahead, laughing back at me. With a start, I realise I'd frozen in place. I shake my head, taking off after her again.

"Look, I'd tell you to stay out of my way," Bunny says as I draw up beside him, "but really, what's the point 'cause you won't be able to keep up anyway! You're way too busy watching her, mate."

"Is that a challenge, cotton tail?" I ask, ignoring the part about (Y/N).

"Oho, you don't wanna race a rabbit, mate." He leaps sideways onto another building, darting a head a few paces.

"Wait since when was it a race?" (Y/N) shouts, appearing in front of me.

"About a second ago," I call back, grinning. She shrugs, then disappears again.

"A race? Is it a race?" North asks, popping up from a chimney. "This is going to be epic!" With each word, he sends a plume of soot into the air as he jumps through the chimneys.

"Four bicuspids over there," Tooth babbles, zooming along beneath me. "An incisor two blocks east! Is that a molar? They're everywhere! Oh—" she breaks off, slamming into a billboard.

"Are you ok?" I ask, pausing to check on her.

"I'm fine," she laughs, rubbing her nose. "Sorry, it's been a really long time since I've been out in the field."

"How long is a long time?"

She grins sheepishly, running a hand over her arm. "440 years, give or take." She gasps, then zooms past me, heading straight for a window.

I stare after her, not sure how to take that. I know (Y/N) became Cupid 500 years ago, but if Tooth was the tooth fairy before she became an actual Guardian then... I shake my head, I'm falling behind.

"You wanna get a wriggle on?" A voice comes from beside me, and I jump. (Y/N) is crouched on the top of the billboard, a sack held in one hand, her hair floating about her face and her skin shining bright silvery-gold. She smiles, raising an eyebrow at me. "I'm gonna beat you."

"No you're—" I stop, sighing. She's already gone. "Not." I glance at the baby tooth fairy beside me, and it chitters, shrugging. "Let's go get some teeth, eh?"

It ends up being a full-on war. I run into the others a few times, wrestling for teeth with them (though not literally) and sabotaging everyone at every move. Except (Y/N), but I don't know how I'd do that even if I wanted to. How do you trick someone who can literally teleport?

"Wow," Tooth says when we finally present her with our sacks of teeth. "You guys collect teeth and leave gifts almost as fast as my fairies!"

"Wait, gifts?" (Y/N) asks, her arm sagging. "Since when are we supposed to leave a fucking gift?"

"You guys... didn't leave gifts?" Tooth asks, looking aghast. At (Y/N)'s cussing or at us not leaving gifts, I'm not sure.

"Uh, we... didn't realise?" I venture, cringing.

"Coin laundry down the road," (Y/N) shrugs, swinging her sack over her shoulder. "I bet I can beat you guys leaving gifts too."

"You didn't beat—" I start, but she's gone.