Two

*Jack's POV, modern day*

I soar high over the city, riding the draft of wind as it rushes over the highest skyscrapers, the neon signs and road lights glittering like a sequined blanket beneath me.

"Take me to (Y/N)!" I call to the wind, sending a stream of sparkling frost along the side of a power line.

The wind rushes to comply, switching directions and plummeting down to the streets. I groan as I recognise the route, but don't do anything until the draft sets me down gently outside a door, a small line of people stretching a few metres back, kept at bay by two bouncers at the door. I had a feeling she'd be here, but there was always the chance she might not be.

Sighing, I slide past the bouncers and into the club, spotting my friend almost straight away. She's right in the middle of the dance floor, her hair and clothes floating around her like she's underwater. She's glowing, quite literally, lit up silvery-gold like sunlight when it shines through ice.

As I watch, she phases to another part of the dance floor, sliding up next to a woman dancing on her own. She brushes a hand by the woman's head, and she turns ever so slightly towards the bar at the back. I blink, and in an instant (Y/N) is at the bar, guiding a man's eyes towards the dance floor and the woman who is still looking in the direction of the bar. She steps back, smiling to herself, and grabs a tiny glass from the man's hand.

"(Y/N)!" I call, cutting through the crowd towards her. I try to ignore the people passing though me, but I still shiver a few times.

"Hey Jack," she grins, downing the contents of the glass and grimacing. "Ugh, that tastes like a fucking candy cane. Man, this dude was having a rough night."

"Yeah?" I ask, watching as he gets up and head towards the woman.

"Got dumped by his girlfriend of 2 years. I think he's just looking for a hook-up."

"Well he sure is now," I point out. "You gotta stop doing that. I was reading the other day,"

"You? Reading? What's next, pigs are gonna sprout wings?"

"They might," I argue. "Anyway, I was reading and I found this article. They're calling it the "pandemic of hook-up culture" now."

"Good for them." She reaches around me, taking a glass of something from the bar top and sniffing it. She wrinkles her nose, then hands it to me.

"What's this?"

"Beer," she says, glaring at it. "Low grade, cheap."

"You're a snob." I raise it to my mouth, but she snatches it back.

"It's spiked, you idiot."

"Then why the hell would you give it to me?"

"I didn't think you'd actually drink it," she snorts.

"Yeah, well not everyone is as stuck up as you." I push my hair out my face, hoping to hide the blush I can feel creeping over my cheeks. I don't know what it is about (Y/N), but every time I'm around her I end up doing something stupid. It's not that I'm trying to impress her or anything, I just... don't want her to think I'm lame or weird. Maybe it's the whole Cupid thing, maybe I just like that she sticks around with me.

"I'm not stuck up," she mutters, picking at the seam of her dress.

"Come outside with me," I say, taking her hand. "There's fresh snow, you'll love it."

"Why should I come out into that freezing cold stuff when it's so much fun in here?" She bites her lip, leaning back on the bench and surveying the crowd before us both. Her eyes dart over the people, and she glows even brighter.