Eight

*Jack's POV*

I fly through the night, dimly aware of Sandy's steady golden glow and (Y/N)'s less steady flickering behind me as I chase after the black sand. It swerves around a corner into a darker alleyway, and I swing off the side of a sign with my staff, shooting a burst of frost at it as it disappears over a building.

"I got it!" I laugh, blinking at the spot where my frost collided with the black sand. I swing up onto the top of the building, poking at the patch of frozen black with my staff. "(Y/N), come check this out! Sandy! Guys, did you see that? Look at this thing." I poke at it again, nudging the still flowing tips of the creature's mane.

"Frost?"

I jump, whipping around to see Pitch eyeing the frozen creature on the ground. I aim my staff, shooting a burst of ice at him, but he disappears.

"You know," his voice echoes, "for a neutral party, you spend an awful lot of time with those weirdoes. This isn't your fight, Jack." He appears on another rooftop to my left, and I'm reminded of the way (Y/N) phases in and out of being; there one second and gone the next. Just thinking of her makes my stomach turn over with embarrassment. God, she must think I'm an idiot.

"You made it my fight when you stole those teeth!" I shout, banishing thoughts of (Y/N) from my head. I can't be distracted right now.

"Teeth?" he asks, "Why do you care about the teeth?"

"Leave Jack out of this, Pitch. I know what you're trying to do."

We both jump, and I turn to see (Y/N) standing on the framework of a billboard behind me, a bone-white arrow knocked to her bow and murder written on her face. I've never quite seen her look this angry before, and I can't help wondering at what past these two have together. It's obvious there's something there, even from the way he reacts to her presence.

"Ah, (Y/N)!" Pitch grins, recovering from his initial shock. "We were just having a friendly chat. I wasn't expecting you to tag along, but I suppose you just couldn't resist the opportunity to see me."

There's a jingling sound from beside him, and he jumps. Sandy is standing beside him, his arms crossed and his brow furrowed.

Pitch laughs, looking back to (Y/N) and I. "Now this is who I'm looking for!"

In a flash, two golden whips spring from Sandy's hands, the ropes of sand lashing at Pitch who frantically dodges them, conjuring his own massive black scythe.

"Come on, get out of the way," (Y/N) hisses, dragging me around out of reach of Pitch's scythe. She doesn't look at me, her eyes fixed instead on the exchange of blows between Sandy and the boogeyman, her brow furrowed in concentration as she raises her bow again, drawing back the arrow.

"Why'd you follow me?" I ask, painfully aware of how close we're standing. This is the absolute worst.

"That's uh, that's what friends do, right?" she mutters, and I notice her hands are shaking. I don't understand it, how Pitch shakes her up so much. Unless...

"No."

"Huh?"

"What? Oh, I, uh..." I trail off, my cheeks flaming. "I was thinking out loud. Wasn't talking to you, you're right. Friends."

She frowns, then shakes her head and looks once more at Sandy and Pitch. She breathes in deeply, but before she can let go of the arrow, Sandy's whip wraps around Pitch's arm and he's hurled from the top of the building, landing with a crash in the street below.

"Oh thank god," (Y/N) sighs, lowering her bow and rushing to where Sandy is looking down at the man lying in the road beneath us.

"Remind me not to get on your bad side," I say to the little man, following him down to where Pitch is scrambling backwards away from us.

A Heart of Ice (Jack Frost x Cupid!Reader) [COMPLETED]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara