Seventeen

*(Y/N)'s POV*

I hold tightly to Jack's hand as we slip and slide over his ice pathway, through the main street, following a similar pathway to the one Jamie went on a few days prior. Poor Bunny yells the whole way, but is mainly drowned out by everyone else's laughter.

"This is actually alright!" I shout to Jack as we round a corner, rushing past a man walking his dog who simply stares at what I guess just looks like a kid sliding along a path of ice on a garbage can lid.

"You think?" he shouts back, grinning at me.

"It's more than alright!" Jamie yells from up ahead, looking back at us, "This is epic!"

We skid around another corner, then up over a ramp and down the other side in a perfect arch, repeating the trick a few times. I'd be lying of I said my stomach didn't leave my body a few times, but Jack's hand in mine makes it bearable.

As we go, Jack hurls snowballs through the kid's windows, Jamie yelling at them to "come on" and "get up", suspended in the air by Jack.

We're slowly joined by more and more children sliding after us on whatever they can find, one even has an upside down skateboard.

"You were right!" the kid who doubted the legitimacy of Jamie's Big Foot DNA – Claude, I think – calls, laughing. "The Easter Bunny's real!"

"And the tooth fairy!" the beanie girl chimes in.

"And Santa!" Claude's brother says. "They're all real!"

I look away from the train of children behind us, then stop. Up ahead, Pitch is sitting astride a nightmare on a roof, a whole wave of them gathering behind him. Lightning strikes, outlining his shape starkly in the darkness.

"Woo-hoo! Yeah!" a little boy shouts, running in front of us. He catches sight of Pitch too, immediately turning around and hiding behind me and Jack.

"It's alright," I say absently, patting his head and readying my bow and an arrow. "We're gonna keep you safe."

"You think a few children can help you?" Pitch scoffs. "Against this?" He raises his hands, another lightning strike illuminating his sand as it swirls over the town, closing in on us.

"They're just bad dreams," Jack says to Jamie.

"We'll protect you, mate," Bunny adds.

"Aw, you'll protect them?" Pitch calls, laughing. "But who will protect you?"

I make to step forwards, Jack doing the same. We're stopped, however, by Jamie.

"I will," he says, glaring at Pitch.

"I will." Cupcake adds.

"I will."

"I will!" They're joined by Claude and his brother, then two more, all declaring their intentions to protect us. Even the little boy who was just moments ago cowering behind me.

"Still think there's no such thing as the Boogeyman?" Pitch shouts, charging forwards. A massive wave of nightmares follow, extinguishing every light in their path towards us. I draw back my arrow, aiming at the swarm.

"I do believe in you," Jamie says, "I'm just not afraid of you."

I feel a hand on my waist, and glance across to see Jack readying his staff, frowning at the cloud of black sand rushing towards us. I brace for impact, but it doesn't come. Instead, where the black sand hits just in front of us, it changes to bright gold and spirals back out into the night, its shining tendrils winding through the darkness like vines over a stone wall.