Three

*(Y/N)'s POV*

Night is falling. Jack hasn't talked to me very much all day, but I don't need him to tell me something's up. I can see it in the slump of his shoulders, the way he won't meet my eyes. And still, I can't get my mind off that packet of ecstasy in his pocket.

It started not too long after I left Pitch. I'd go out to bars and taverns, wait around to see what was new with people, and if I could get a bit I'd try it. I don't think there's a single drug under the sun that I haven't tried at least once. First it was cannabis, then tobacco, then it was opium, then it was cocaine, then it was hallucinogenic mushrooms, then MDMA and LSD, then amphetamines, and more recently heroin. I figure since I'm stuck in this immortal, practically invulnerable body, I might as well take advantage of it.

I pull a joint from my pocket, fishing around for a lighter. I find one, lighting it up and placing the role of paper between my lips. I inhale deeply, leaning back against a tree and watching as Jack walks a circle on the lake in front of us, his bare feet leaving curls of frost on the ice's surface. I love watching Jack's frost at work, I love the way he makes it curl into such elaborate yet delicate shapes. It's prettiest on windows, I think.

He looks up, and I smile at him through the cloud of pungent smoke. He sighs, taps the ice once more with his staff, then crosses over to me.

"Guess I couldn't distract you long enough, huh?"

"Guess you couldn't." I blow out another lungful of smoke, twirling the joint between my fingers. "It's funny, I used to get high after about three breaths of this stuff. Now I have to do two in a row to feel anything."

"Maybe you should just stop?" he suggests. "I don't get why you even use those things. It smells like horse shit."

I snort, taking another draw. "You're not wrong. I think you have to do it to understand."

"I'm not putting one of those anywhere near my mouth."

"You know," I say thoughtfully, "I could probably get you addicted to these without you even trying one."

He laughs nervously. "What do you mean?"

"Well, addiction is a sort of love, right? Or an infatuation. Probably comes under mania, I recon it'd be close to lust."

"Lust?"

"Yeah, it's not real love, but it's a physical need. I mean, partly physical." I look up, smiling at his confused frown. "Don't worry about it, I'm just thinking out loud."

"I'm worried when you're talking about getting me addicted to something! You already made me—" he breaks off, shaking his head. "I'm gonna go check up on Jamie. Wanna come?"

"Wait a second, what did I make you do?" I stump out the joint in the snow, slipping it back into my pocket. I'll finish it later.

"Nothing, come on!" Jack calls, already leaping into the air.

"Ugh," I grunt, pushing myself off the tree I was leaning against and standing up. "I'm coming!" I yell, phasing ahead a few metres to where he's jumping off a tree. I follow him back into the town, through the now practically dark streets as he makes for Jamie's house.

The curtain isn't drawn, and through the window we can see Jamie's bedroom. He's sitting on the bed, Sophie next to him and their mom trying to calm them both down.

"It was awesome!" the boy is saying as I jump to the roof, Jack following suit. "So then I was flying down this hill and it was like "woosh, woosh, woosh," through all these cars and then the sled hit this-this-this thing, and it was like way up in the air, then bam! The sofa hit me, and my tooth came out, see?" he opens his mouth wide, showing off the new gap in his smile.