Seven

*(Y/N)'s POV*

I stand, unable to move as Jack disappears over the edge of the roof. Slowly, I raise a hand to my tingling lips, my breathing uneven and my hand shaky. Why I froze, I don't know. It's not that I didn't like it, it's not even that I was shocked. I just... froze. I can still feel his hand around my waist, pulling me towards him. He kissed me. He kissed me.

And I want him to do it again.

"Where is (Y/N)?" North's voice comes from below, snapping me out of my head.

"She's uh, she's outside I think," Jack answers.

"I'm coming!" I call, jumping to the room below. "What's the deal?"

"Shh!" Tooth holds a finger to her lips, pointing at Jamie.

"Sorry!" North whisper-shouts. "So, how are you feeling Toothy?"

"Believed in!" she grins, and he laughs.

"That's what I want to hear!"

"Oh, I see how it is." Bunny's voice interrupts, and he hops up from a hole in the corner of the room. "All working together to make sure the rabbit gets last place."

"Shh!" we chorus.

"You think I need help to beat a bunny?" Jack asks, pulling a sack of teeth from behind his back. "Check it out, Peter Cottontail!" He doesn't look at me, I notice.

"You call that a bag of choppers?" Bunny raises an eyebrow, pulling his own sack out. "Now that's a bag of choppers."

"Not that it really matters or anything," I say, lifting my own bag of teeth which is bigger than both of theirs, "but I got more than both of you."

North pushes between us, stopping anyone from replying. "Gentlemen, (Y/N), this is about Tooth! It's not a competition. But if it was," he adds, slamming a massive sack on the floor in front of us, "I win! Yee-haw!"

I open my mouth to tell him to shut up, but am stopped by a click and a bright flash, the beam of a flashlight.

"Well shit," I say, freezing in place. Jamie is sitting up, fully awake and staring at us.

"Santa Clause?" he whispers, "the Easter Bunny? Sandman? The Tooth Fairy! I knew you'd come!"

"Surprise!" she laughs, "We came."

"He can see us?" Jack asks, looking at the kid like he can't quite believe his eyes. 

"I don't think he can see us, Jack," I say. I want to reach across at take his hand, pat his shoulder, something. But again, I feel his cool fingers though my dress, and I blush. This is hell.

He glances across at me, then looks away again, pink flooding his cheeks.

"Shh, you guys, he's still awake!" Tooth reminds us, ending the awkward moment.

"Sandy, knock him out." Bunny commands. The little man nods, advancing with his fist in his palm.

"Huh?" Jamie frowns, recoiling.

"With the dream sand, ya gumbies!"

Sandy is stopped from doing anything by a growl from the bed, drawing back as a dog advances towards us, baring its teeth.

"No! Stop! That's the Easter Bunny!" Jamie tells it, reaching forwards to pull it away. "What are you doing Abbey? Down!"

"Alright," Bunny says, "nobody panic."

"But that's a um... that's a greyhound." Jack points out gleefully, pointing at Abbey. "Do you know what greyhounds do to rabbits?"

"I think it's a pretty safe bet he's never met a rabbit like me. Six foot one, nerves of steel, master of tai chi, and the ancient art of—" he breaks off as an alarm rings out, sending the dog into a frenzy of barking and growling.

I jump, glancing across at Jack who is grinning at Bunny, his staff still slightly extended towards a clock on Jamie's bedside table.

"Crickey!" Bunny exclaims, jumping backwards away from the dog. Absolute chaos erupts as Jamie shouts at Abbey to stop, Sandy frantically juggles a ball of dream sand between his hands, and everyone tries to get out of the way of Abbey and Bunny.

"Uh, Sandy?" I shout over the noise, jumping out of the way as Abbey rushes past. The little guy nods, taking aim and hurling the ball of sand. But Abbey is too fast, and it misses her, instead hitting Tooth full in the face. She collapses to the floor with a sigh, a ring of golden teeth dancing above her head.

The dream sand keeps flying around the room, ricocheting off the walls. It hits Bunny just as he leaps over the bed, stopping him in his tracks and sending him the same way as Tooth. It bounces, then collides with Abbey and keeps going, its next target North.

I phase out of the way as it heads towards me, narrowly avoiding being sent to sleep. The weight of North falling onto the bed sent Jamie flying through the air, only to be caught by Sandy who finally sends him into a deep slumber.

In the silence, Jack, Sandy and I are the only ones still conscious. I look between them, then at the others snoring on the floor.

"This is uh, this is your fault." I say to them, pointing mainly at Jack. Sandy jingles indignantly, placing Jamie on the end of the bed and flashing a range of symbols above his head.

"Hey, Sandy—" Jack starts, crossing his arms.

"You set the alarm off," I say to him, then turning to Sandy again, "you threw the sand."

Sandy jingles reluctantly, surveying his work.

"I really wish I had a camera right now," Jack sighs. He nudges Bunny's leg with his staff, stifling a chuckle. I have to admit, it's pretty funny. And God, I wish I'd kissed him back. I wish I could go back and do it, get rid of this awful thing between us now. I'm Cupid, I should be able to fix this.

A noise from the window jerks me out of my thoughts, and I turn to see something dark and trailing black sand standing there, its eyes glowing like embers in a fire. A Nightmare. In an instant, it's gone, leaving nothing but a sort of coldness behind.

Jack gasps, running towards the window after it.

"No, Jack, wait!" I shout, grabbing his arm and spinning him to face me.

"I have to, (Y/N)!" he protests, glancing out the window. 

"No, Pitch sent it for a reason. He wants you to go, don't play into his stupid tricks."

"How do you know that?" he asks, frowning. "How do you know so much about Pitch?"

I should tell him. I should tell him everything right now, get it out in the open instead of festering inside me. "Know thy enemy," I shrug instead. "Please, don't do it."

He frowns, then looks over his shoulder into the night. Gently, he removes my hand from his arm and pushes me backwards.

"No, no, don't you dare—"

"I'm sorry, (Y/N), I have to." And with that, he leaps out the window after the Nightmare.

"Ugh!" I stomp in frustration, then spin and punch the wall. "Fuck!" I shout as my knuckles make contact with it, it bloody hurts. "Dammit, Jack!"

Behind me, Sandy jingles softly, looking up at me with concern.

"I'm fine," I mutter, sucking my knuckles. "Bloody Jack."

Sandy raises his eyebrows, a heart of golden sand appearing over his head.

"Shut up," I say. "Come on, we better follow him. Idiot'll get himself killed otherwise."

Sandy frowns, chewing at the inside of his cheek. He looks from me to the window to me again, then tilts his head on the side.

"Yeah, I know, but the harm's done, so we may as well take advantage of it. I don't think Pitch'll be expecting three people, probably not me. He knows I wouldn't fall for that, I think he's after Jack. If I knew why..."

Sandy shrugs, jumping up onto the window ledge and stepping out onto a platform of whirling golden sand. He looks back at me, a question in his eyes.

"I'll be right," I smile.