Through the Dark (August 2014)

Start from the beginning

Of course, it's not the first time he's seen her like this. She got borderline depressed after their miscarriage in between Darcy and Lennon, but they really clung to each other during that time. However, it seems like she's trying to distance herself as far away from him as possible this time.

"Do you know where she is? And where Lennon and Auggie are?" Harry asks gently, picking Darcy up into his arms as she cuddles into him and her head falls to his shoulder.

"I dunno,"Darcy murmurs, "but Lennie is asleep."

Right, it's Lennon's nap time. At least she was able to get him down. Harry nods and presses a couple of kisses to Darcy's forehead. "I love you, Darce."

"I love you too, daddy,"Darcy whispers, her little lips pressing against Harry's neck.

"I'm gonna go check on mummy, okay?"Harry whispers into her ear and then kisses it gently as she nods.

He gets Darcy settled with a cartoon on the tv before making his way up the stairs and into Auggie's nursery. He doesn't sleep there yet because it makes it easier for Camryn to feed him at night if they're co-sleeping, but sometimes in the daytime Camryn prefers to feed him in there because there's a rocking chair. He carefully opens the door to Auggie's nursery to check if they're in there, but much to his surprise, the room is completely empty.

It's only then that he hears muffled wails coming from his and Camryn's bedroom down the hall. He quickly makes his way towards their bedroom and immediately opens the door.

He finds Camryn pacing around the room by the bed with her hands interlocked behind her head and trying to breathe while her chest sputters and tears roll down her face. He quickly glances over at the tiny baby who's laid flat on his back on the bed wailing his heart out and red-faced with his little curled up hands flinging everywhere.

"Hi, baby..."

"I-I can't do this!"Camryn exclaims through tears, her voice breaking as she begins to sob harder, "Harry, I can't do this!"

Her outburst completely catches Harry off guard. It's not the first time in these past 3 weeks that he's come home to see her sobbing and needing help, but it's the first time she's lost her temper and it makes his heart break to see her in that much despair.

"Okay, alright,"Harry calmly nods, walking towards her cautiously as she continues to loudly sob, "babe talk to me, what's happening?"

"I-I've been trying to get him to eat for 2 hours now,"Camryn sputters through sobs, stuttering on almost every word as she tries to get through her explanation, "and he's so fu****** hungry, but he won't eat! And I don't know what to do, Harry! I feel like I'm losing my mind!" He watches as she puts her hands on her head and grips it like it's physically hurting her. He carefully wraps his arms around her and hugs her to his chest as she sobs into his chest.

He has to focus on breathing deeply as he feels her crumbling into him because he feels like his life is falling apart. He's never seen Camryn feel so overwhelmed or anxious 24/7. He couldn't even tell you when the last time he saw her smile was.

"Baby, it's okay,"he tries to soothe while running his hands up and down her back. He kisses the top of her head gently. "Will you let me help you? I can heat up some of the frozen milk we have in the fridge an—"

"No!"Camryn immediately shrieks, shaking her head against his chest repeatedly. "I can feed him, Harry! I can! I fed the others!"

"Honey, I know you did and I know you can,"Harry assures her as he continues to walk on eggshells. He feels like nothing he says will be received right by Camryn. "But, maybe we just have to be a little different with Auggie. At least let me try a bottle?"