Green Eyes (Teen Fiction)

Start from the beginning

Sammy stepped out and locked her car. She smiled as she approached Kyle. He hesitated.

"Hi, Kyle," Sammy said.

"Sammy?"

She watched as he eyed her modest outfit of baseball T, jean shorts, and Keds. It was funny how each guy she met up with had the same reaction to her appearance. Before Kyle could comment, Sammy jumped right in.

"Do you remember the Three Rules?" she asked.

Kyle spun his phone around and around. "Uh, yeah. One, don't ever look towards my ex. Two, no touching or kissing unless directed by you. Three..." Sammy saw it the second Kyle couldn't keep his thoughts to himself any longer. "Okay, you're supposed to be helping me make my ex jealous, shouldn't that mean that we make out and you wear something more... I don't know, sexy?"

Seven times. Seven times she'd done this and each guy had given some variation on this statement. She knew what they wanted, a girl so hot that every guy was jealous, on top of their ex being jealous. But that wasn't how it worked.

"What's rule number three," Sammy said.

Kyle fidgeted. "Trust you."

"Exactly. You need to trust me. I know what I'm doing. Your ex would see through the guise of us showing up and making out. What we're working towards is making her jealous, so much so that she wants you back. She won't do that if she thinks you are just like any other guy who just makes out with the first girl you can."

Kyle scratched the back of his neck as if he still thought making out was the right play. So Sammy continued. "Your ex will be jealous when she sees you simply talking with a girl and completely ignoring everyone else. To her, it will feel like she never existed in your eyes because you will never once look at her. Make sense?"

It was more complex than that. To an ex, seeing Kyle find a girl attractive not because of how hot she looked or how much she let him kiss her, but because she was interesting would make the ex wonder if she'd been wrong to dump him. What girl wanted to think that they weren't interesting? But that was more than Kyle needed to know.

Finally, Kyle nodded.

"Good, let's go then."

As Sammy headed towards Davenport Lake, Kyle walked alongside her. She could tell he was nervous by the way he kept fiddling with his phone.

"What's your favorite TV show?" she asked.

"Uh...Bones. It's kind of a gross crime show that has a lot of rotting skeletons and stuff."

"No way!"

At the interested tone, Kyle perked up. "Yeah, it's about this team of forensic scientists who solve crimes by studying the bones, it's crazy."

"They solve crimes through bones?" Sammy asked.

Kyle dove into the topic with an energy Sammy hadn't thought he had in him. With encouraging comments inserted here and there, the topic took them to the lake and the party going on there.

Sammy kept Kyle talking so he barely even registered that they were among his friends. People called out but he didn't respond, too trapped by Sammy's eagerness to know more about his favorite show. She steered them to a spot where they could be seen but weren't in the thick of things.

"I can't believe I've never watched this show," Sammy said, sitting down on the grass.

Kyle sank down beside her, grinning. "You would love it?"

"Did Angela like it?" Sammy asked.

At the mention of his ex, Kyle's enthusiasm died a bit.

"She did, it was one of the things that we bonded over."