eleven

Nova's POV: 

It's been a couple days since I fainted. I've been better now and I'm back home. After Alli and I talked, I've realized that I can't keep overworking myself as much so I'm taking it slow. Today all I have to do is my shift at the bakery then I'm free. I got out of bed and got dressed for the day. I wore my black off the shoulder crop top with my denim overall shorts. 

I headed out to the bakery with my bike and for the first time in forever I felt genuinely happy

I headed out to the bakery with my bike and for the first time in forever I felt genuinely happy. It's a good day today. "Hi ladies!" I greet happily to the usual ladies. 

"Hi Nova, I haven't seen you in awhile," Ms. Quinn said.

"I just took some me time," I say, as I behind the counter. 

I serve the usual customers and when things slowed down, I headed to the back to make more baked goods. I was trying to put the flour back up the shelf, when I heard the doorbell ring. 

"I'll be there in a minute!" I call out.

Once I finally got it up the shelf, guess what it did? Yep, it tipped over and got all over me again. I shook it off, as I headed out front.

"What can I get for you?" I ask without looking up to the customer.

"I'm getting a sense of deja vu," Holden chuckled.

I laugh and say, "How're you doing?"

"I'm feeling great actually. What about you?" He replies.

"I'm doing great too. Today is just one of those days that just feel good, ya know?" I say.

"Yeah, I feel you," he says. We take a minute to just look at each other's eyes. Soon I snap out of it and I say, "So what can I get you?"

"Oh, I'll just take an iced coffee," he says.

I nod as I go get it for him. The carnival was this weekend and I wanted to know if Holden would would want to go with me. I got his coffee ready and I pep talked myself as I was handing him. Okay Nova, just ask him. The worst that can happen is he rejects you and you make everything awkward.

"Hey Holden," I say after I hand him the coffee.

"Yeah Nova?" He says.

I take a deep breath and say, "Would you like to go to the carnival with me, this weekend?"

"Yes," he says.

"It's okay if you say no- wait yes?" I said at the same time as him.

He laughs, "I'll go to the carnival with you."

I smile at him and with that he leaves.

~~~~

As soon as my shift was finished, I said goodbye to Mr. Buford and I headed to the hospital to visit Momma after making a quick stop home. When I got there, I signed in and head up to her room. Before I could go inside, Dr. Prentiss called out to me.

"Hey Nova, can you come here before you head inside?" Dr. Prentiss asked.

I walked over to her and asked, "What's up? Is mom ok?"

"Your mom is actually really good. I actually wanted to tell you that by Monday, we should be able to discharge her and she could head home," Dr. Prentiss said.

"Oh my god, that's amazing! Thank you so much!" I say to her.

"I'm glad I was able to help," Dr. Prentiss said.

I went into Momma's room and she was awake. 

"Hi Momma," I said softly.

"Hi Nova," Mom replied, "I missed you."

"I missed you too Momma," I said as I gave her a hug.

"I have a bone to pick with you, young lady," she said after we hugged.

"Wait why? What'd I do?" I asked.

"Why did I hear from Allegra that you fainted a couple days ago?" she said with a stern face.

"When I asked her to check on you for me, I did not mean for her to tell you why I couldn't come," I say.

"You still haven't answered my question, Nova Maeve Stark," she said firmly.

I gulped. She just full named me. "Well, uh, um, l may or may not have fainted because I may or may not have been sleeping or eating properly."

"Nova Stark! Why weren't you eating or sleeping right?!" She said to me.

"I was busy working and I didn't have enough time to do all that," I said guiltily, "But I'm fine now Mom. Allegra, Holden and his family took care of me."

She lessened up and was less upset, as she said, "I better not hear anything else like that while I'm in here."

"You won't Momma, I promise. Anyway I made you some food before I came here. I figured you were tired of hospital food," I said as I changed the subject.

"Thank god. There was no way I would be able to eat stew again for the fifth day in a row," she says.

I chuckled as I unwrap the bag of food and I hand it to her. I stay with Momma for the rest of visiting hours and I catch up with her. I missed her and I couldn't wait to bring her home by Monday.

___________________________

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! Feel free to vote and comment! Till next time ♥️♥️