eight

Nova's POV:

It was late at night, when I finally got home. I got off my shift at the bookstore at nine and then I headed to the hospital to see Momma. Today was exhausting to say the least. It's definitely going to take some time to get used to this. I fell asleep as soon as I hit the bed and like I got no sleep at all, it was suddenly morning. I threw on my white crop top and my baggy cream colored pants and headed out the door. 

I headed to the bakery for my first shift of the day

I headed to the bakery for my first shift of the day. It was busy, as usual for mornings. People had found out what happened to Momma and I couldn't stand everyone looking at me with pity and whispering behind my back on how sad and practically broken my family was. 

As I was serving a customer, they asked me how my mom was, and I just couldn't take it anymore. 

"Do you really wanna know how my mom is?! Do you? Or do you just want to gossip behind my back on how broken my family is? God, keep your fake ass pity to yourself. I DON'T NEED IT!" I screamed.

Oh my god, what did I just do? I looked up to the customer and saw that it was Holden. 

I rubbed my temples and said, "I'm so sorry Holden. I didn't mean that at all-," I rambled on. And before I knew it I began crying again. 

"Hey, hey. It's okay Nova," Holden says as he attempted to soothe me. "Maybe you should take your break now and you could talk to me," he offered.

I nodded as I wiped my tears and called out to Mr. Buford, saying I'm going on break.

We walked to that park and we sat on a bench, silently. I had hundreds of thoughts swirling around my head and I didn't know where to start. I just started crying and sobbing as Holden rubbed my back telling me calming words.

"I'm sick of this!" I cry, "This town is just... ridiculous! All they care about is the gossip and I'm sick of it! I HATE IT! I hate it so much, Holden! It's stupid! All they do is look at you with pity and want details on what happened just so they can talk behind your back! They don't actually care about you! It's just a bunch of bullshit! Before you guys came into town, the only people who cared about me were my parents and Allegra's family! It's not fair!" I incoherently break down. Holden keeps letting me vent and cry to him. 

Once I finished, I look at him sheepishly, "I'm sorry for ruining another one of your shirts with my tears."

He chuckles, "It's alright, whenever you need to vent or need someone to listen to, I'm here."

"Thank you Holden," I say as I give him a hug.

~~~~~~

Once I finally finished my shift at the bakery, I called Alli.

"Hey Alli," I say.

"Hey Nova, what's up?" She says.

"I was wondering if you could do me a favor? Are you free now?" I asked.

"Yeah I'm free. What do you need?" She asks.

"Can you cover my first shift at the bookstore today? I'll be there by the second one, I just have to get to Holden's house to do a couple things," I say, "It's totally fine if you can though." Like me, Alli picked up shifts at the bookstore occasionally.

"I'll do it, go ahead and do your thing," she said.

"Thank you so much Alli!" I said.

She laughed, as she said, "It's not problem."

~~~

When I got to the Scott house, I cleaned up a bit and then I headed to the kitchen to make a pie. I put in my headphones, played my One Direction playlist and began baking. Once I put the pie in the oven, I saw Noah looking at me. 

"What're you doing, bakery girl?" He asked.

"God!" I say as I jumped. "I'm just making a pie and listening to my music."

"Cool who're you listening to?"

"One Direction. They're my soulmates," I say as I do one of the love sighs.

"LMAOO," he laughed, "I feel that."

My eyes widened, "You like One Direction?!" I asked.

"Duh," he said, "Who wouldn't?"

"Yes! I love boy directioners! You're officially my new favorite person!" I exclaimed.

"Wow, I'm so offended," Holden said as he walked in, "How come he gets to be your favorite?" He pouted.

I laugh, "He likes One Direction," I say.

"So do I! I was the one who got him into them!" He pouts.

"Really?" I say skeptically. He nods.

"Fine, prove it," I say. "What's Lima Bean's fear?" I ask.

"Easy. Spoons," he says.

I laugh and say, "Okay, you're my favorite person too!"

Soon the oven dings, and I take out the pie. "Come take a piece!" I say to the both of them. We all take a piece of pie and eat together as we laugh about our favorite One Direction moments. 

_________________________

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! Feel free to vote and comment! Till next time ♥️♥️

P.S. Over Again is one of my favorite One Direction songs from the Take Me Home album!