one

Nova's POV:

"Hi Mr. Davis Yang! How are you?" I call out to my neighbor as I head off to the bakery.

"I'm well Nova! Thank you for asking!" He replies.

I grab my bike and I begin to peddle my way down the road. I figured that today was just gonna be a regular day but it turned out the complete opposite. But let's take a few steps back.

I'm Nova Stark. I'm 21 and I live in Dusk Valley. It's a small town and everybody knows everybody. I started working at The Caramel Café, since I was a teenager. My dad died a few years ago and ever since then it's just been my mom and I, trying to keep up and pay bills. 

So yeah, that's basically me. As I head into the bakery, I see the usual women at the table gossiping.

"What's the scoop today, ladies?" I ask.

"The old man, who lives in the mansion up the road, sons are here. I've heard they're extremely attractive," Mrs. Quinn says. 

I chuckle, as I head behind the counter. 

~~~

I hear the bell ding as I was in the back making some cupcakes. It was a boy who looked a bit younger than me. He was cute though. He had dark curly hair and a beautiful smile.

"Hi there! What can I do for you?" I say as I greet him.

"Hi, uh, do you have any apple turnovers?" He asked.

"Of course! How many would you like?" I ask.

"A box full please. They're my father's favorites," he says.

"Here you are," I say as I hand him the box, "That'll be 12.50."

He hands me a crisp twenty and says, "Keep the change," and with that he leaves.

I look over to the clock and decide to take my break. "Mr. Buford, I'm on break now!" I call out. 

"Okay Nova!" He says.

I walk over to Mrs. Quinn and the ladies, "Who was that?" I asked curiously. I had never seen him before and if anything, the ladies would know.

"That's one of the sons I was telling you about," Mrs. Quinn said, "I heard the older one would be flying in this afternoon."

I nodded as I left the bakery for my break. I headed back to my house to check on Momma. Before I enter the house, I look into the mailbox, that was filled with envelopes. I sighed as I looked through them all. Bills, bills, bills, and more bills. I remember the days when it used to be fun to get the mail, trying to find out who wrote you a letter, now all it ever is is bills. As I head inside my house, I greeted Mom and I put the envelopes in my room so she wouldn't have to worry about it so much.

"What're you doing Momma?" I asked curiously.

"I'm just making a pie," she said.

"Ooh yum," I say, "When'll you be done?"

"Not for you, silly," Momma said, "I've got a new job," she told me.

"What happened to the old one?" I said, rather concerned.

"They had to let me go. Downsizing," she said, sighing.

I sighed, as I rubbed my temples. "What's your new job?" I asked.

"I'm working as a maid and part time cook in the old mansion up the road," she said.

I nodded then I realized what she just said, "Mom, please don't overwork yourself. You know the doctor said you can't keep you blood pressure high."

"Honey, you know you can't keep hiding the bills from me," she said, "I still need to do my part on bringing in money, you know."

I sighed. "Alright Momma," I said. 

~~~~

While I was in the back of the bakery, I heard the door chime. 

"I'll be there in a minute!" I called out. I was trying to put the flour away and by the time my short ass finally got it up the shelf, it tipped over and covered me in flour. 

I sigh as I try to shake it off my hair and apron, before going up to the counter.

"Hi there! What can I get for you?" I asked before I looked up to see the handsome strangers face.

"Uh a black coffee please," he said.

I nodded as I went to the coffee machines. 

Who the hell is that?  I think to myself. It was probably the oldest son of the man who lived up the road. 

He was very attractive. He had dark hair with beautiful, big hazel eyes. He had a light stubble and was pretty tall. 

I pulled myself out of my thoughts and I handed him his coffee.

"$3.50 please," I said. 

He handed me a five and then walked out.

_____________________

And that's chapter one! I hope you enjoyed it and that you'll stay with me for the rest of the book! Till next time ♥️♥️