three

Nova's POV:

It was the next day and I had a shift at the bookstore and the café today. The bookstore was one of my favorite places in town. I had a big hobby for reading and I couldn't help reading during my shift when it wasn't busy. I have to get up, I thought bluntly. I am so not a morning person.

I take a shower and I get dressed for the day. I wear my green floral dress with the big black belt, leave my hair out, and pair it with cute white tennis shoes.

 I wear my green floral dress with the big black belt, leave my hair out, and pair it with cute white tennis shoes

My first shift was at the café so I grab my bike and head to the café. Once I get there I greet the usual women at the table, grab my apron, and get started with the fresh bread. I hear the door open, once I put the bread in the oven, and I head to the counter. It was Holden. 

"Hi Holden, what can I get you?" I say.

"Hey Nova, um I'll just have a sesame bagel and black coffee," he says.

"Coming right up," I say. 

Once I get his order ready, I hand it to him. "$6.00 please," I say. He hands me the cash and I ask, 

"So what do you think of Dusk Valley?" 

"Well for the short time I've been here, it's been okay. I still need to get used to it," he chuckles.

"I can give you a tour, if you want," I offered.

"That would be great actually. When are you free?"

"Well my shift ends at 11 and my shift at the bookstore doesn't start till 3, so anytime you're free then," I say.

"Okay, I'll meet you here at 11 then," he smiles.

"Alrighty then," I say, "I'll see you then."

~~~~

Holden comes into the bakery at about 10:55 and I tell him I'll be able to go in 5. I hear one more customer come in and I head to the table to get the order. Oh god, it was Mrs. Patterson. She was one of the pickiest and rudest customers ever. 

"Hi Mrs. Patterson, what can I get you?" I say plastering on a fake smile.

"I want a blueberry muffin, slightly warmed and a cup of coffee with two scoops of cinnamon, organic whole milk, and two human breaths," she says.

"So your usual?" I mumble to myself.

"What was that?" She snaps.

"I said I'll get your order in a few minutes," I said giving her my most fake smile ever.

I grab her order and hand it to her.

She takes a sniff of the muffin and says, "This isn't a slightly warmed muffin."

I sigh, "It is Mrs.Patterson. I warmed it just like I do every week," I said.

"Where's Mr. Buford? I want to speak with him."

I sigh, "Mr. Buford isn't in yet. Would you like me to bring you another muffin?"

"Of course girly. Do you really expect me to eat a cold muffin?" She snaps.

I notice Holden getting slightly agitated. Hopefully not with me...

I get her a new muffin and then I clock out. Holden and I walk out the bakery and begin talking. 

"Are all customers like that?" He asks.

"Not all. Some people are actually really nice. She's just... herself. She's been like that the entire time I grew up in Dusk Valley," I say.

"That sucks," Holden says.

I chuckle, "Yeah but the bakery isn't so bad. I actually kinda like working there. Wanna play 20 questions?" I ask, as I show him around.

"Sure," he says, "I'll go first. Do you have any siblings and if so, how many?"

"I'm actually an only child. I actually prefer it like that," I say, "How many siblings do you have?"

"Only one. My younger brother, Noah. He's 19. How many jobs do you work?"

"I work two jobs. The bakery and the bookstore," I say as I point out where it is, "I try to help out my mom as much as I can. What's your favorite color?"

"Black," Holden says.

"That's obvious lol," I say, noticing his all black outfit.

"If it was obvious, why's you ask?" He chuckled.

"Cause for all I know, your favorite color could be pink. Anyway, what would be your perfect day?" I ask.

"Um, my perfect day. My perfect day would probably be with someone I love. That's it honestly. If I'm with someone I love, then everything would be perfect," he said.

I smiled at his answer. 

"What's your favorite childhood memory?" He asked.

"Um, once my parents and I had a picnic, up on that field over there," I said as I pointed it out, "It was my mom's birthday and my dad and I had been planning it for a week. We had an amazing time," I smiled sadly, remembering that. 

~~~

"I had a great time Nova. I hope we can hang out more," Holden said once I finished showing him around.

"I'd be down to hang out too," I said.

___________________________________

I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! Till next time ♥️♥️