Chapter Twenty-Two : I'm Full Of Surprises

His black and slightly stretched body glided ever so steadily across the four walls, as if pacing back and forth, waiting for something to happen. His original injured body remained lifeless on the bed, but he covered his entire body with the blanket to hide it, in case the danger does come.

Whatever happens to it, there will be a high possibility that he won't be able to return to his body.

He kept gliding left and right, looking around the room for any sign of sudden movement or a break into the room, anything, for it's been almost an hour, and no threat has ever come. Secondary thoughts had come to his mind.

What if they found my family and got to them instead? Did my family arrive safely to whatever place that hunter took them--

Suddenly, screams echoed in his head, and that sickening feeling that he felt in the forest when he encountered the beast has returned to his stomach. These screams belonged to his family, he realised.

I have to go He thought to himself as he glided to the curtains that led to the corridor. He looked left and right quickly before he slithered through these walls and slid his way out of the basement and into the open. 

His shadowy body slithered across the ground as fast as he could like a charging serpent; the night breeze brushed his back as he rushed past. The screams were clearer and louder as he approached the source, but as he did, other sounds have joined the battle or mess, he didn't know until he finally arrived at the scene. 

His father, Onel, was standing there hugging Gholt and Bryan tight from harm while Red, Darvin and Kyvan surrounded them with their backs turned to them. Each was holding a weapon and trying to fend off the enemies that circled them like wolves.

Red growled as he clutched his mallet tighter; Darvin kept his gaze on the predators while holding a silver chain in one unharmed hand, and finally Kyvan, who held his big blue Harcrian battle-axe ready to chop. 

The Dark Meanians' smirks were so wide they revealed their white sharp teeth and fangs that drooled with their saliva as they hissed and growled like beasts. The crimson veins on their bodies were visibly pulsating and glowing along with their white irises that were surrounded by the dark void in their eyes, and after a moment, they charged.

Red blocked the lung in time with the grip of his mallet, the Dark Meanian accidentally got gagged by it, but he bit to struggle out of it like a wild animal. The other twin attacked next, lunging at Darvin, but Kyvan stopped it by smacking the attacker's head with his axe's flat side.

All that chaos happened while Onel kept holding the weeping children in his shaking arms. Fearian couldn't stand there anymore but charged forward.

His shadowy body began to flare like flames as he flew towards the enemy, at the same time forming into the shape of his original body yet black coloured with red blank eyes filled with rage. Just as he arrived at the enemy that Red struggled to hold, his formation was complete, and he landed a strong punch to the man's crimson veined cheek.

The man whined like a wounded hound as he fell to the side; Red was surprised by his sudden arrival. Fearian didn't hesitate but flew to the other enemy in a swift woosh, grabbing the man's ankle, yanking him out of the way, and hitting him into the ground like a club. 

"Fearian?!" Darvin cried, and Onel lifted his head to see the shadow figure.

Fearian let go of the twin and darted his head to the group. "Hunter, look out!"

Red turned around in time to see the other twin charge at him again, but gladly he rose his mallet and smashed to the side in time. 

Only for the twin that Fearian threw to jump from his fallen position and bite his shoulder, but that did not happen. Instead, his teeth went through his shadowy shoulder and into the ground again, leaving him confused but angrier.

Fearian grabbed him by the collar and yanked him skyward with one hand. Then as the man was about to hit the ground, Fearian gave him some punches in the face and chest, sending the man to fly backwards and land on the ground in a roll. 

"Go! I can handle them!" Fearian said, raising his fists that were swarmed with shades.

"We can't leave you! They're stronger than before!" Darvin cried as he readied his chain by whipping it in the air. 

"Then at least one of us has to take dad and the kids to safety!" Fearian turned in time and sent a shadowy punch at the twin that was about to charge at Fearian from behind. 

"I'll take them there!" Red said. "Come on!" He called Onel and ran. Onel darted his head between Fearian and Red. 

"Bey caryfil," Onel whispered to his sons, as if they heard him, and followed Red quickly with the children.

Fearian, Darvin and Kyvan brought their attention back to the twins, who now returned to them, snarling at them. 

Without warning, the twins actually went charging at Darvin and Kyvan with a sudden deep screech coming from them. 

Fearian immediately summoned a large tentacle made of shadows from the ground, grabbed one of the twins, then yanked him and spun him before tossing him to the ground with a short quake. 

The other twin was about to bite Kyvan, who couldn't defend himself in time. Luckily enough, Darvin managed to toss his chain at the twin and wrap him up, and the twin let out an even louder screech of pain by the silver's touch.

Darvin then pulled with his might away from his friend, but the man struggled violently, making it difficult for Darvin to hold with one hand. That is until Fearian brought another tentacle and grabbed the other twin.

With that, Fearian pulled both men away from his friend and brother and tossed them to the ground one more time, and that toss was much stronger. It should knock them out cold.

Fearian commanded the shades to fade as he approached the fallen enemies, and as he inspected them, they met his expectations. The Dark Meanians are finally out, and these crimson veins began to fade away from their bodies. 

Thus, the group took some gasps from the fight, except for Fearian, who was in a shadow form that stood still. 

"So... That's what you did? Turn yourself into a walking shadow?" Kyvan panted.

"What about your health, Fearian? I thought you were supposed to stick to the walls." Darvin looked up at his brother.

"To you, I'm full of surprises," Fearian said in his mouthless face. "in fact, I'm not actually here, my body is still in the Healing Temple. So my health has nothing to do with my magic," he explained.

"B... But that doesn't make any sense. How can you touch others while they can't touch you? A-And how the hell did you--"

"Magic, Darvin, certain magical elements make you stronger without using your physical strength, and I'm one of those elements. Wanna study shadow magic? I don't mind lecturing you." Fearian put his handless arms on his hips.

"Alright, we can talk about magic later, but now let's bring these Dark Meanians to King Salvador and be done with." Kyvan let out a tiring sigh. 

"Wait, where did that hunter take dad and the kids?" Fearian asked.

"Probably to the palace," Darvin guessed.

"And I'm coming." Fearian started to walk towards the palace, but Darvin tried to stop him. But his hand went through his body.

Darvin sighed. "What about your body? The healers will think you're dead and bury it."

"I'll let them know I'm not dead," Fearian called as he summoned tentacles that dragged the twins along with him. 

Darvin and Kyvan did nothing but sigh and followed the shadowy Fearian.