Chapter Nineteen : The Questioning (1/2)

Once his eyes fluttered open, blurry surroundings filled his vision while echoey voices filled his ears. Not only were the surroundings blurry, but it was also swaying in front of him. He questioned how the figures that stood before him never swayed along and never fell from the nauseating motion happening to the world, that is until his eyes finally adjusted. The world stopped moving and the voices hushed.

Looking up at the figures, he realised who was standing in front of him. With the torch glistening his silvery hair and shining eyes of gold that stared back at him, was King Salvador. The men who stood behind their king were his armoured guards, their long-bladed spears pointing at the threat who sat there with his wrists tied behind his back.

A sound of jingling chains broke the silence and brought his face to his left, to see a large Fire Meanian standing outside the metal bars holding a rolled silver chain in his gloved hand, ready to use it on him if he made any sudden tricks or moves. The Fire Meanian's eyes were squinted at him.

With all this, he was mostly panicked and confused. "W-Where am I?"

"That is an excellent question, you're in my dungeon, and I'm the one who's supposed to ask you questions." Salvador knelt with one knee and narrowed his brows.

"W-W-Wait a minute why would I--"

"I said I ask the questions." 

His guards took a step closer.

The man obeyed but started to draw some shuddering breaths.

"So," Salvador began. "What is your name?"

The man hesitated for a moment, looking back and forth at the king then at the Fire Meanian. "B-B-Bla... " He stuttered. "Blarence Josife Grevalon."

"Blarence Josife Grevalon?" His golden eyes expanded with slight surprise. The name Grevalon, it's linked with Fearian's family.

"Grevalon?" The Fire Meanian repeated.

"Where did you come from?" Salvador moved to another question.

"I-I-I... I don't exactly remember--"

"How can you not remember the chaos you caused just recently?" His voice rose a little louder, losing his calmness and temper ever so slightly.

"I-I swear I don't remember anything that happened to me nor what was happening around me... I swear--"

"Stop your damn lies and tell me where you came from and why." He repeated his question through his gritted teeth, clutching his knee harder.

"I don't know! I swear I don't know what happened! All I remember from my past was getting out of the tunnel!" Blarence was trying to push himself against the wall, away from the harm that is about to come from these pointing blades.

"Which tunnel?" Salvador was slowly restoring his patience.

"The tunnel that is under the Meanian Kingdom, I was heading to the Northen tunnel until for some reason, I felt pain and passed out... T-That's all I remember." His breath shivered as he spoke.

"What tunnel under the kingdom?" His silver brows now narrowed in confusion.

"The tunnel... " The Fire Meanian said. "There are multiple tunnels beneath the kingdom, he's telling the truth." He added with his acknowledging oceanic eyes.

"Red, how are you certain that he's telling the truth?" Salvador turned his head to the Fire Meanian.

"Because that's how I got Fearian and myself out of the pit we fell in. There was a tunnel that led to other multiple tunnels, one of them led to your library," Red, the Fire Meanian, explained his reason.

"And why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

"I know it was important and I wanted some answers, but because we were busy catching this man, I thought I'd ask you about this later, so I didn't know it's getting involved."

Salvador did nothing but sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "How did you know about the tunnels, Blarence?" He turned back to the shaking man.

"These tunnels... They were built a long time ago, even before the Raven king was spawned. Our kin used them to travel to secret gatherings and meetings, but now they are only used by the first colony, The Black Whale," he explained his answer.

"The what now?" Red squinted his eyes. "What Black Whale Colony?" 

Even the guards in the room exchanged confused looks and whispers. 

"What are they using it for?" King Salvador asked as he ignored their questions for a moment.

"To keep an eye on this kingdom, and if any under circumstances where The Whale King needs to send a message to you, we travel under the kingdom to avoid your people's suspicion and send it to you secretly." He pushed himself further into the wall. Salvador was processing what Blarence told him.

"Why would he spy on me?" Salvador murmured to himself as he looked away from Blarence, but Red gave his king a confused look and demanded answers.

"What did he say? What damn colony is he talking about--"

"Enough with this, tell me," he darted back to Blarence. "are you sure you don't remember what you were causing?"

"No... No, I don't remember." Blarence shook his head.

"So you don't remember bringing danger to children twice, attacking the neighbourhood in your beast form, throwing one of my men into your pit, and beating the hell out of one of my subjects? Don't you also remember telling one of my men by the name of Fearian Grevalon that you're going to kill his father and retrieve him later for the dead Raven King?" 

Blarence opened and closed his lips in a desperate search for words in defence, but he found none.

"No no no I don't remember at all! I swear I don't remember--" He stopped for a moment in thought. Then he looked straight at Salvador's eyes. "My eyes... "

"What about them?" Salvador squinted his.

"My eyes... My eyes! Don't you see the colour of my eyes? Don't you know who I work for?" He asked him as he widened his eyes and started to retake breaths.

Salvador squinted his eyes more as he stared into Blarence's, and just as soon as he stared, he noticed the colour of his eyes. 

During their encounter and chase of Blarence, he always either snarled or sneered at anyone who went to capture him with his glowing ruby eyes. But when Blarence told him in a panic to see his eyes, shock took over Salvador when he realised the change of colour.

Blarence's eyes weren't rubies anymore, but what stared back at him were the eyes of blue lazuli.