12

I spend 5 full minutes under hot water. 2 bars of soap, both smelling like lavender. A bottle of shampoo only meant for my hair, and a soft white towel I dare to wrap around my body while I start to realize.

They want me to forget.

They think they can wash away my memories, my loyalties, and priorities with a few hot meals and a room with a nice view. They think I'm easily purchased.

Agreste understands that I didn't grow up with much but what he doesn't understand is that I didn't hate it. I didn't want the nice clothes or the perfect shoes or the expensive... anything.

All I ever wanted was to touch another human being.

I slip back into my old clothes and tiptoe back into the bed. Luka is gone, even though he said he would stay.

I walk towards the closet door and open it to a storage space full of clothing. Dresses, shoes, shirts, and pants in almost every color. The size of all the clothing is perfect. Too perfect.

They've been waiting for me.

I run my hands throw each pair of clothing.

"Agreste is still waiting on you."

I jump back and fall on the closet door, slamming it while doing so. Luka walks towards me. I start to get nervous. He reaches past me and opens the closet door again.

"These are all yours." He says without looking at me. He touches a purple dress.

"I already have clothes." I smooth out the wrinkles in my dirty clothing.

He looks at me and just stares. I wonder if it's because I've washed my face and it looks a bit cleaner. I hope he isn't disgusted. Not like I care...

"I'll be waiting outside."

I stare at the purple dress with Luka's fingerprints on it.

I study the inside of the closet, only before I end up closing it.

I comb my fingers through my wet hair and remind myself:

I am no one's property.

I don't care what Agreste wants me to look like.

I step outside and notice Luka is staring at me. He rubs the back of his neck, shakes his head and says nothing.

He leads me to an elevator entirely made of glass. He uses the same key card he used to open my room door and we step inside. I didn't realize we'd taken this many floors up.

I start to realize I must have made an embarrassing scene when I arrived. I'm almost proud of myself.

I hope to disappoint Agreste in every possible way.

*Miniature Time Skip*

The dining room is big enough to feed thousands of orphans. Instead there are 7 banquet tables all across the room. Each table neatly draped with royal blue silk cloth on top of it.

Agreste is sitting at a table directly in the middle.

As soon as he sees me... Luka, he stands up. The whole room stands up as well.

I notice that they're are empty seats on both sides of him.

I walk forward and Agreste smiles at me. He pulls out the chair on the left side of him and gestures me to sit there.

I try not to look at Luka as he sits across from me.

"You know... there are newer clothes in your closet." Agreste says as he sits besides me. The entire room does the same and goes back to what they were doing.

Agreste is turned almost directly towards me but for some reason, the only presences I care for is the person across from me.

I put my hands in my lap and turn my attention towards my nail beds.

"And you don't have to wear those dirty tennis shoes anymore." Agreste continues, he smirks and pours water into my cup.

I'm so thirsty I could inhale a waterfall.

I hate his smile.

"Marinette?"

I collect my thoughts and look at Agreste.

"Are you not hungry?" He touches my wrist with his gloved hand.

Yes I'm hungry. I could eat every person in this room. "No thank you."

He licks his lips into a smile. "Don't confuse stupidity for bravery, princess. I know you haven't eaten anything in days."

"I'd rather die than listen to you call me, princess." I scoff.

Luka drops his fork.

Agreste looks at me and holds his glare for what seems like forever. He reaches in his pocket and pulls out his gun. Without breaking eye contact, he shoots.

The entire room screams and stops instantly.

I turn my head very slowly in the direction of Agreste's gun. He shot some sort of meat right through the bone. He then drops the gun on my plate.

"Choose your words wisely, Marinette. One order from me can make your life here a living hell."

I blink.

Luka pushes a plate of food in front of me. I look up at him and his eyes are begging me as if he's saying please.

I pick up my fork.

Agreste doesn't miss our little "convo." He clears his throat a little too loudly and laughs a forced laugh. "Do I have to get Couffaine to do all my work for me?"

"Excuse me?"

"It seems he's the only one you'll listen to." His tone sounds like he's forcing himself to stay calm. "I'm surprised you didn't have her change clothes like I asked you to."

Luka sits up straighter. "I did, sir."

"I like my clothes." I tell him. I'd like to punch you in the throat, is what I don't tell him.

Agreste's sly smile returns. "No one asked you what you liked, princess. Now eat. I need you to look your best when you're standing next to me."