8

It takes me two days to open my eyes.

I glance around the room I'm in. There's a bit of food and a cup of water on a coffee table. My stomach seems bruised. That's going to take a while to heal.

Luka isn't here.

I start asking myself 'what if' questions and get terrified of the thought. A metal door slams open. A guard with two rifles strung across his chest looks me up and down.

"Get up."

This time I don't hesitate. I'm hoping I can find Luka while I go... wherever I'm going to.

"Follow me." The guards' voice is deep. He looks about 25 years old with gray, unreadable eyes.

Oh.

My.

God.

Luka steps into the doorway with a rifle. He gestures it towards a hallway. "Move."

Luka's pointing a gun at my chest.

I whisper to myself something I can't believe I would ever say.

Luka's a soldier. Luka wants me to die.

I stare at him. He gives me a sorrowful one in return.

I'm left confused as I walk down the dark hallway. We make what feels like a million turns and get into a room. The room is very bright. It's so bright I can't see a thing.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng." A voice says. It's too bright to see who's calling my name.

"Jones, dim the lights and release her. I want to see her face." The same voice says again.

The brightness goes to an acceptable level and I can finally see the man's face.

I'm shocked by how young he looks. He can't be much older than me.

It's obvious he's in charge of something. His skin is flawless, his jawline is... immaculate. His eyes are the same shade of green as a forests'.

He's beautiful.

He's sitting on a chair. His blonde hair, a bit wild but still perfectly combed.

He looks so much like a model.... I hate it.

"You're so stubborn." He chuckles. "You didn't even cooperate with your roommate."

I raise a brow in a disrespectful manner, intentionally.

He chuckles in disbelief. "Well it's that interesting." He snaps his fingers. "Couffaine, please, step forward."

My heart stops beating when Luka comes into view.

Couffaine. His name is Luka Couffaine.

Luka nods his head as a salute.

I should have known.

There's rumors of soldiers living amongst the public in secret. Everyday people go missing, those same people never come back.

"Sir." Luka says.

"It seems you made quite an impression on her."

I look closer at the man sitting in the chair. His badge that's been embroidered on his shirt says Agreste.

Luka doesn't say anything. He doesn't even look in my direction. The same arms that once held my body is now holding a deadly weapon.

"You have nothing to say about that?" Agreste nudged his head in my direction. Obviously entertained.

Luka clenches his jaw. "Sir."

"Of course." Agreste is suddenly bored. "Why should I expect you to have something to say?"

"Are you going to kill me?" I ask. Before I can even think about what I said, a gun slams into my spine and forces me onto the floor.

"That wasn't necessary, Jones. I suppose I'd be wondering the same thing if I were in her position." He pauses, "Marinette?"

I manage to lift my head a bit.

"I have a proposition for you."