1~ when it all started...

"And then he was like omg I want to be with you. And that's how Derek and I got back together." my best friend uttered out and flopped the magazine down on my bed. "Sounds, interesting." I sighed out. "Listen, I've got to study for my test tomorrow." I said and grabbed my textbook. "Ugh, Zoey!!! Your no fun. Just tell your teacher, a.k.a your mom to let you have a day off." she gave me a pouty look.

At first, I wasn't homeschooled. I went to school for a good 3 years, kindergarten, first and second. It was fun but I decided to be homeschooled. I was being bullied by several people. I chose to avoid them, it was quite easy actually. You could hear their Cinderella plastic heels a mile away. My best friend has felt distanced since I left. She's going to feel even more distanced in a week when we enter middle school. And be we I mean her going to a giant school all alone and me staying in the comfort of my own home.

"It doesn't work like that." I finally breathed out. "Well make it work that way. I cannot be alone. Think of all the stuff you're gonna miss, dances, relationships, fights, drama." she continued on for what seemed like forever. "I get it, most of my childhood was taken away, you know that." I got up and sat at my desk to start studying. "Zo, why are you so crabby?" My best friend Kaitlin asked, looking me in the eye like something was wrong. "Did I upset you? I mean you're not gonna miss that much. Just like prom and graduation..." she continued on again. "I think I want to come to regular school again." I said, which startled her out of her rambling. "It's not April Fools Day so you're not joking. Omg!!!!" She screamed which made the posters on my walls shake.

"Come on mom, just let me try it!" I walked around the counter as she did the dishes. "I already told you, no." she placed a plate in the dishwasher. "It's not fair! Dad would let me." I said and it shut her up for a second. "But you don't live with dad so that's too bad. Enough, end of discussion." she dryed off her hands and sat down on the couch. I gave the usual grumpy groan and sat beside her.

My mother and father split up two years ago. Everything was fine, at least that's what I thought. Every night I would hear screaming and yelling coming through the thin walls. All they would tell me is, "its fine, everything's okay". Of course, being me, I believed it. Ugh, I'm so gullible. Five weeks later, divorce papers being slapped on the table by, guess who? My mother. I hated my mother for that. I was always a daddy's girl. I was forced to live with her because my father made some "bad choices". Being a kid you always get the sugar-coated version.

"What do I have to do to get you to believe that I can handle this?" I said to my mother and shoved a toothbrush in between my teeth. "Nothing, I've already made my decision." she applied cream to her face in the mirror beside me. I spit in the sink and said, "Please mom? Please. I really want to be there for Kaitlin." I whined. "Is this for Kaitlin or for you?" She asked me the startling question.

My mom wasn't a big fan of Katie. I always used to think she was jealous but who knows. When my parents were together, me and Katie would go everywhere with my father. My mother was always out of the picture. She believes Katie changed my act.

"It's my decision." I avoided her prior question. "No, it's mine as your guardian and your teacher." she put the cream back and walked out of the bathroom. "Goodnight Zoey." she had the nerve to kiss me on my forehead. My father always used to do that before bed. She knows it calms me down and soothes me all around. "Goodnight." I whispered.

"Wanna come back to school shopping with me?" Kaitlin asked the half-awake me. "You're going now?! School is in a week for you." I scratched my head and turned to the mirror. I gasped at my bedhead, but it was no surprise. "Uh yeah, this is the only time my sister will drive me." she said in a duh tone like I know her sisters schedule.

I got up and brushed my hair, still holding the phone to my ear. "I'll see if my mommy dearest will let me out of the house after our hour long argument last night." I turned to my doorway. Speak of the devil. "You mean arguments." she emphasized the "s". I gave her a flat look. "So does that mean I can go?" I said. "Oh you can go, but you're bringing your own money." she replied. "But I'm not buying anything." I said confused. "You are if you're going to public school in a week." she smiled. I screamed loudly so that Kaitlin would know that I was happy. We wrapped each other in a hug, Kaitlin probably totally confused.