15 | umbitch

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
UMBITCH
[15]

song: Everybody Talks by Neon Trees

+++++++++++++++

Pavati Patil charms a piece of paper to become a bird and fly around the classroom.

"Go on Seamus. Go on get it." Dean encourages Seamus. Seamus hits the bird making it fly slightly off course.

It flew around the chandelier and to the front of the classroom. It was set aflame and burnt to ashes and it landed back onto Pavati's desk.

"Good morning, children." Professor Umbridge greets the class. The pink toad points her wand to a small chalkboard in the front of the classroom. It spells, "Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations. O-W-Ls."

"More commonly known as OWLs." "Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe." Umbridge points her wand toward stacks of booking, charming them to be handed out to the students. I read the title when it comes to me. Dark Arts Defense: Basics for Beginners. The cover has a child witch and wizard reading the book. I start to flip theough the book, looking at the lessons.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But you'll be pleased to know, from now on... you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved... course of defensive magic."

I raise my hand. "Yes?"

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" I say in more of a question voice.

"Using spells?" Umbridge cackles. "Well, I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not gonna use magic?" Ron asks out loud.

"You'll be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way." Umbridge explains.

"What use is that? If we're attacked, it won't be risk-free." Harry speaks up.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." She snarls at Harry.

She calms herself down before continuing. "It is the view of the Ministry... that a theoretical knowledge will be sufficient... to get you through your examinations... which, after all, is what school is all about."

"And how's theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there?" Harry asks.

"There is nothing out there, dear." Professor Umbridge says in a fake sweet tone. "Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

"Oh, I don't know." Harry replies sarcastically. "Maybe Lord Voldemort."

"Now, let me make this quite plain. You have been told... that a certain dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie." The pink toad tells the class.

"It's not a lie. I saw him. I fought him."

"Detention, Mr. Potter."

"Cedric Diggory dropped dead of his own accord?"

"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident." She tells the class.

"It was murder. Voldemort killed him." Harry argues.

"Enough!" Umbridge calms herself down. "Enough."

"See me later, Mr. Potter. My office."

"Umbridge? More like Umbitch." I tell the people around me. They laugh and it attracts the attention of said demon spawn.

"What was that Ms Toh?"

"Nothing, professor." I snarl.

+++++

"I'm not asking you to write all of it for me." Ron says to Hermione. "I've been busy studying for these stupid OWL exams."

Hermione sighs, "I'll do the introduction. That's all."

"Hermione, you're honestly the most wonderful person I've ever met." Ron complements. "And if I'm ever rude to you again..."

"I'll know you've gone back to normal." Hermione smiles.

They sit down at couch where Harry and I are at. Harry is flipping through a book. I see something on this left hand.

"What's on your hand?" I ask him.

"Nothing." Harry lies.

"The other hand." I say in an unamused tone.

Hermione lift up his robe sleeve. 'I must not tell lies.' is on his hand, sort of— craved into it. "You've got to tell Dumbledore."

"No." Harry tell us. "Dumbledore's got enough on his mind right now. I don't want to give Umbridge the satisfaction."

"Bloody hell, Harry. The woman's torturing you. If the parents knew about this..." Ron trailed off.

"I haven't got any of those, have I, Ron?"

"Harry, you've got to report this. It's perfectly simple. You're being..."

Harry cuts Hermione off. "No, it's not. Hermione, whatever this is, it's not simple. You don't understand."

"Then help us to." I say before he walks away.