07 | dress robes

CHAPTER SEVEN
DRESS ROBES
[07]

song: Someone to You by BANNERS

I just HAD to put both of these gifs, because both are perfect 👌

+++++++++++++++

"Look at this!" Hermione motions to the newspaper she's reading. "I can't believe it she's done it again.
Miss Granger a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey, sources report, is none other than the Hogwarts Triwizard champion, Cedric Diggory. No word yet on how Harry Potter's taking this latest emotional blow."

"And this part is about you, Lin. Miss Toh, an ambitious girl also seems to be hunting her new prey, none other than the Bulgarian bon-bon, Viktor Krum. Miss Granger and Miss Toh might be teaming up together."

"Don't listen to her 'Mione, it's all a load of rubbish." I tell Hermione.

A young Gryffindor boy walks up to where we're sitting in the great hall. "Parcel for you, Mr Weasley."

"Thank you, Nigel." Ron thanks the boy. Nigel is staring at Harry. "Not now Nigel. Later. Go on."

When the boy walks away, we look at Ron and he explains, "I told him I'd get him Harry's autograph." He continues to open the package. "Oh look, mum's sent me something. Mum sent me a dress?"

He takes the thing inside of the box out. It's brown dress robes with old lacy collars.

"Well it does match your eyes." Harry mocks. "Is there a bonnet?" Harry look back into the box. "Aha!" He pulls out a lacy ivory bonnet with a black tie.

"Nose down Harry." Ron walks down the table to his little sister. "Ginny, these must be for you."

Ginny looks up from her breakfast. "I'm not wearing that, it's ghastly." Hermione and I start laughing.

Ron walks back to us. "They're not for Ginny." Hermione tells Ron.

"They're for you, Ronald dearest." I say. The entire Gryffindor table laughs. "Dress robes."

"Dress robes? For what?"

+++++

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night we and our guests gather in the great hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost...
a dance." Professor McGonagall explains to the Gryffindor house.

Groans come from the boys' side of the room. But the girls seem to be more excited, several girls giggle. I exchange a look with Hermione who shrugs.

"Silence." Minnie commands. "The house of Godrick Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

"Try saying that five times faster." I hear Fred whisper from across the room to George.

Then they say it over and over again at a fast pace.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe, inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight." Professor McGonagall turned to the girls.

Ron whispers something to Seamus right next to him.

She turned to the boys and continued, "Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr Weasley, will you join me." This is his punishment.

Ron reluctantly gets up and McGonagall leads him to the center of the room. "Now place you right hand on my waist." She tells him.

"Where?" Ron stupidly asks.

"My waist."

Fred wolf-whistles. Ron turns, taking his hand off of Minnie's waist. "Mr Filch if you please." Filch sets the needle on the record and it starts to play a waltz.

"One, two, three." Professor McGonagall counts over and over again. Fred and George mock-dance. Harry whispers something to them and they whisper back.

"Everybody come together!" All the girls stand but the boys stay put.

Then Neville is the first to stand from the boys and the other guys reluctantly stand, not wanted to be shown as a coward compared to Neville Longbottom.

Neville walks over to Ginny and asks her to dance. They begin to waltz. Boys start to follow Neville's example and asks a girl or guy to dance.

I turned to Hermione and asked her, "Do you wanna dance?" She knew the reason why.

"So you're still mad at Fred?" She asks when we join hands.

"Yeah." I look over and see him dancing with Angelina Johnson. He's probably going to ask her.

+++++++++++++++

A/N: This scene is hilarious 😆

weird place to end it but 🤷‍♀️

I purposely left out the things the boys say from across the room because let's be real— they whisper it and Kai doesn't have super hearing.