21 | not according to plan

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
NOT ACCORDING TO PLAN
[21]

song: Animal by Neon Trees

+++++++++++++++

When the quartet arrived back at Hogwarts, they went to visit Hagrid.

"I will say this one last time." Umbridge said as they were eavesdropping from outside the hut. "I'm ordering you to tell me where you've been."

"I told you. I've been away for me health." Hagrid's said in his thick Scottish accent.

"Your health?"

"Yeah. Bit of fresh air, you know."

"Oh, yes. As gamekeeper, fresh air must be difficult to come by." Umbridge said sarcastically. "If I were you, I shouldn't get too used to being back. In fact, I mightn't bother unpacking at all."

She left and sprayed some of her pink perfume around his front door.

"This is top-secret, right?" Hagrid warned when they sat down and asked him where he was. "Dumbledore sent me to parley with the giants."

"Giants?" Lin asked. "You found them?"

"Well, they're not that hard to find, to be perfectly honest. They're so big, see?" Hagrid explained. "I tried to convince them to join the cause."

"But I wasn't the only one that was trying to win them over."

"Deatheaters?" Ron asked quietly.

"Yes. Trying to persuade them to join You-Know-Who."

"Did they?" Harry said.

"I gave them Dumbledore's message. Suppose some of them remember he was friendly to them. I suppose."

Hagrid's dog, Fang, starts barking. Hagrid got up and looked out his window. The quartet got up too.

"It's changing out there. Just like last time." Hagrid said darkly. "There's a storm coming, Harry."

+++++

Lin froze when she saw the front of the newspaper.

"Uh... Guys you've got to see this!" Lin whisper-shouted.

Hermione and Harry turned to see what she was so anxious about. Ron reluctantly looked up from his breakfast.

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN:
MINISTRY FEARS BLACK IS
"RALLYING POINT"
FOR OLD DEATHEATERS