14 | the pink toad

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
THE PINK TOAD
[14]

song: Teach Me To Fight by YONAKA

+++++++++++++++

I get off the Hogwarts express with Ron, Harry, and Hermione. And we walk to the carriages.

As I climb into one of the carriages that already has Neville and a blond girl reading an upside-down magazine named The Quibbler. Harry stops in front the carriage and is staring at a large, walking-dead looking horse with wings. "What is that?" Harry asks us.

Ron looks to what Harry's pointing at. "What?" He can't see it.

Harry keeps pointing, "That... that thing!"

I explain to him, "It's a thestral. They can only be seen by people who have seen death. You must been able to see them now because of..." I look to Hermione.

Harry catches on. "So can you see them too?" He asks me. I nod.

"Well I don't see anything." Hermione says.

"You're not going mad." The blond girl says with a dreamy voice. "I can see them too. You're just as sane as I am."

"Er... you are?" Harry asks the girl in the carriage.

"Luna. Luna Lovegood." She introduces herself.

"Well, thanks Luna." Harry says awkwardly.

Harry climbs into the carriage and the thestrals pull the carriage.

"Hope there's pudding." Luna says as if she were in a haze. Or high. I like her already.

"Me too sister."

+++++

Dunbledore stands. "I beg a few moments if your attention, as I have a few start of term announcements. Right off, our caretaker, the good Mr Filch, has reminded me for what he says is the four-hundred and sixty-second time that he had an annually updated list of various banned items, usually by our humour experts, Fred and George Weasley..."

I clap and cheer with the rest of the student body. Fred and George stand up and take a bow.

The headmaster continues, "...which are posted on an extensive list on the door of Mr Filch's door." I smile at the twins. Fred winks back. "Also we have two staffing changes this year. Professor Grubby-Plank will be taking the post of Care of Magical Creatures as Professor Hagrid is on... extended leave."