Two - The Scorch Trials

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure that's the one you want? We'll keep you equipped with a gun at all times whenever we deploy, but I guess.." Sonya glanced over to Harriet as I moved over to the target, "Maybe for close-range it'd be helpful."

Turning my body to the side, I gently lifted the axe to my shoulder height and tilting it backwards so that the sharped edge was behind my head, a few inches to the right hand side of it as I kept my eyes locked on the target.

I then took the intuition to hurl the axe directly at the target, like a throwing axe, and watched it spin repetitively with a deadly speed before the sharp, jagged blade end of the axe hit directly on the centre of the target. "Bullseye." Harriet chuckled at me after that, going to retrieve the axe for me.

"Guess we found your weapon of choice.." The two gazed at one another, Sonya grinning slightly, "..I think with this, you'd be a great addition to our team." The two then broke off into their own conversation, keeping in hushed whispers as I just sort of stood there, unsure of what to do with myself. Feeling sort of there, yet sort of out of place.

"Vince gave us the heads-up this morning that we can train with moving targets whenever we think you're ready." Sonya made her way back over to me, Harriet clasping her hands in front of herself as they already had weapons in thigh straps and belt loops. "Moving targets, like..?"

"Cranks." The two spoke in unison, my eyes widening as they did so as I surely didn't think they'd want me to try and take on an attack on such short notice. "We'll keep you training with our dummies first, get you trained up in hand-to-hand combat, just in case."

Nodding my head, I let out an exhale. "I thought you were just gonna throw me out there." Sonya grinned at me while Harriet shook her head. "We don't have any missions at our moment, since your maze was one of the last ones."

"What do you guys do on the missions?" The two shrugged their shoulders, as if they were just following whatever Vince told them to do. "We get kids out of W.I.C.K.E.D., we often get anonymous tips from people in City B, the one's who aren't quite past the gone yet, when there are threats nearby. We move to react to any attacks on citizens."

"Welcome to The Right Arm." Sonya patted my arm as the two began moving away to continue discussing tactics as I sort of just nodded, half-listening. I suppose it was a trait that I had learnt in the maze, to simply observe and only speak when needed, however I intensively missed the light atmosphere and banter that was shared in the maze. I couldn't remember the last time I truly let out a laugh, the kind that Chuck would make me have when he'd prank Alby and then run away.

Letting an exhale blow through my barely-pouted lips, I stood face-to-face with a training dummy, the axe in my hand as I circled it, deciding on what to do. In the end, I decided to treat it as though it were a moving target and not just a training dummy.

I was coated in sweat and physical exhaustion as I switched between swinging my axe, ducking low to dodge 'attacks' and using hand-to-hand combat, my hands bloodied and bruised by the end of it. The dummy probably still won, however.

Panting like a dog, I leaned over and placed my hands onto my knees in order to catch my breath as I felt stickiness coat my body, realising I was in need of a shower.

While taking the mildly warm shower, my muscles soothed their throbbing ache due to the temperature of the water, and most of my sweat was scrubbed off with a plain bar of soap and shampoo.

After the shower, I was quick to dry myself off and get back into the set of clothes the girls had given me, except this time the axe was attached to my back in a harness strap so that I could easily grab it from behind me whenever I needed it. Alongside this, Mary had given me a 'Medical Wing, The Right Arm Associates' badge which I wore on my jacket.