12) Praise me

He played with his hair in the bathroom mirror. It had to be just right for when everyone sees it in its new style. Simon was surprised how well the silver turned out. He couldn't wait to show it off.

The last time he dyed his hair was back in high school. He loved to experiment with every color of the rainbow. That was until the teasing by other boys became too much. Only then was he made fun of for being gay. As long as he didn't talk about it or "look" like it, no one cared. Once Simon got away from them all in college, he discovered that treating himself with respect, confidence, and normalcy seemed to be reflected by others. Now the criticisms he does hear only sound like cracking voices of insecurity.

Simon admired himself in the mirror for a couple extra minutes. It wasn't too common for him to embrace his masculine side so strongly. No makeup or jewelry, only a watch Josh bought him a while ago. Clean dark jeans with half of a white button down dress shirt tucked in dressed his body. He even wore a belt and black sneakers.

Simon decided to go find Vik first. Most likely, he was sat doing work on the grass out in front of the main building where everyone else would be doing the same. On the way there, Simon went ahead and FaceTimed JJ to get his reaction in case they couldn't see each other for a few days. JJ picked up the call very quickly from some random indoor location.

"Yo. Oh shit your hair!" JJ retracted the pretzel he was about to eat from his mouth. "It's a different color!" he shouted, sounding genuinely delighted by the change. A glowing smile formed on Simon's face.

"I'm guessing you like it?" He paused walking to show it off better.

"Hell yeah! It actually makes you look younger in a weird way." JJ resumed eating his snacks.

"Thanks! I really like it too. Best ten dollars I've spent in a while."

"I can't wait to see it in person." JJ hinted at hopefully seeing him again soon.

"Yes. I'll try to see you tomorrow hopefully. Maybe during lunch?" Simon suggested.

"As long as I can figure this stupid coding homework tonight, yes, we can do lunch." JJ showed clear distress at the mention of coding. Those homework assignments always seemed to give him the most trouble.

"Lovely. Can't wait to see you then darling." Simon blew him a kiss through the phone.

"Okay, bye." He hung up.

By the end of their call, Simon had reached his destination. As predicted, Vik was sitting on a blanket by himself in the middle of the lawn. Simon skipped over in a giddy fit of giggles. He managed to conceal them upon arrival.

"Hello Vikky." Simon hummed, taking a seat next to him. At first Vik kept typing on his computer.

"Hi Simon." Then he finally looked over when Simon shuffled right up against his side. "Your hair!" Vik exclaimed. "I've never seen it in a different color before." His eyes scanned the new do at every angle he could get. 

"Does it look good?"

"Yeah! Did you do it yourself?" Simon nodded, proudly. "It looks professionally done. Great job."

"Thanks love." he returned, stealing Vik's Coke to take hefty sip. Something in Vik nearly got him to lurch forward to give Simon a kiss on the cheek. But he managed to anchor himself down. 

"Did you come all this way just for me compliment you?" Vik raised an eyebrow. Simon's eyes darted away as he hung his head shamefully but with a smile he could barely control.

"Yes." he admitted. He liked that Vik knew exactly what he was doing. It meant he understood him. Simon loved that about him. Simon wanted to show his appreciation to Vik so badly through physical affection. Perhaps this would upset him since they were public but Simon had to touch him. A hand rustled around in Vik's soft locks. "Maybe you should dye your hair."