Epilogue: The Web of Fate: Part Three

"And that's how it happened," the old timer concluding, finishing off his last drink.

The bar was dim, and it was near closing time. Lawrence, the barkeep, had been clearing off tables, but he'd been listening on and off to the tale. Trent had tried to pay attention, but the bounty hunter found the whole thing a bit farfetched.

"I read about the Night of Terror when I was in school. Almost two thirds of what you just said, wasn't brought up and some of what you did tends to directly contradict scholarly accounts," he said skeptically. "Honestly, old-timer, it all sounds like utter shite to me."

"Pfft, would you rather believe history books written by people who might've been born centuries after the fact or someone really lived through it," the old Fen said with a wink.

"Oh, don't tell me you're Jan?" Trent added with a sarcastic snort. "If that's true then I must be Empress Nova."

"What, Empress! Did you age ten years and change genders since I last you saw?' the Fen said incredulously. "You should've been paying for me. Not the other way around!"

They both laughed and were joined by Lawrence who'd taken his place back behind the bar.

"But seriously, I am Jan," the old Fen said, leaning closer to Trent. "Otherwise how would you explain this?" He tapped a faded gold pin on his suspender. "Or this," he tapped the side of his cane revealed a black blade inside. "Bet you'd love to know how I got this. The walking stick is a replica, but the sword is one hundred percent genuine."

"You're one hundred percent full of shit!" Trent snapped, growing less amused. "What would someone like you being doing here? No offense," he added to the barkeep.

"I could've just told you who he was if you'd asked," Lawrence said crossly. He pulled a few checks from behind the bar, which did indeed contain Jan's name and seal. Trent's face grew red.

"Okay, I believe you," he said contritely. "But still it seems pretty crazy. The imperial Order of the Candlestick Holder, one the highest honors in the Empire, was created so you could distract some dimwitted guards. And people remove their footwear in the Imperial presence just because an Emperor forgot his shoes one day? And Nob was a murderer before it happened? Never read much about that. It's all a bit much to accept."

"Well, that's how it happened. Historians can be a bit selective at times," old man Jan shrugged.

"But how did you know about the bits you weren't there for?" Lawrence asked pointedly.

'Well Larry, that is a great question. Mainly research, some interviews, and a bit of creative guesswork," the old-timer explained.

"So, you lied," Trent supplied, slowly getting up his stool.

Jan was very offended by the assertion and insisted the tale ninety, no, ninety-five, percent true. When Trent finally asked him what any of this had to do with a job, the elder tipped Larry and offered to walk the bounty hunter back to his room. He'd explain along the way.

They climbed up the stairs to the third floor where both their accommodations were at. Trent leaned against the faced hotel wallpaper and pulled out a pipe to smoke while the old man gave his answer. However, instead of an explanation, the Fen offered more questions.

"So, Trent," he began. "You ever deal with any vampires?"

"It'll cost you extra," the bounty hunter answered instantly.

"Ah a man after my own heart," Jan gushed. "And since you seem to be such a historical scholar, I must ask if you've ever heard of someone named Jonas Cevarius?"

"I haven't memorized every member of the imperial family, so no. What's he got to do with the job?" Trent asked, taking a puff from his pipe.

"It's fine. He's not someone I'd expect them to teach you about in school. Let's just say he's important in the next part."

"Next part?" Trent lowered his pipe. "What do you mean next part?"

"Of the story," Jan replied eagerly. "You don't think. I told you everything, now do you?"

"As amusing as it'd be, I'd rather not have sit through your whole autobiography. The job. What is it?" the bounty hunter was losing his patience.

"Oh, I think you'll find what happened next even more fascinating. As for the work, like I said there's a bit of business I've got in the capital. You can probably guess what it may be, and I think some of your talents are perfectly suited for the task."

Trent tipped his hat to the side. "I'll have to sleep on it."

The old Fen with a scar on his left cheek grinned. "I thought you might say something like that. We'll talk more in the morning."

THE END (For Now)

Thanks for reading!