Oikawa Tōru's Birthday (July 20)

Start from the beginning

"No way," Matsukawa said, throwing his teal club T-shirt over his bare shoulder. "Let me see."

Kindaichi paused in his changing to give his senpai the phone. He passed it over when he displayed the message on the screen.

The two third-years whistled.

"Wow," the older middle blocker said.

"Show us too, senpai." Yahaba took the phone to share with Watari.

"That's her name? Akatsuki Ai?" the strawberry blond guy asked.

"Yes."

"Show them the one from your birthday," Kunimi told no one in particular.

"There's more?" Hanamaki peered over at the device, as Matsukawa asked the owner of the cell phone for permission to see.

Kindaichi nodded and pressed some more buttons.

The door clicked open and the captain came in, followed by his annoyed vice-captain. "Yahoo, everyone! Guess what day it is today???"

"Shut up, Trashykawa." Iwaizumi grumbled from behind about his friend's incessant need to be the center of attention.

Hanamaki waved him off. "No one cares about that. Check this out."

"Kindaichi got Karasuno's manager's number," Matsukawa said as he got the phone again.

"Huh? Really?" Iwaizumi walked around the other guys to look at the messages, too. Then, he hesitated. "Which one?"

"Really? I want to see!" Oikawa pushed his way past to them as well.

Hanamaki grunted when the setter butted in. "Hey, wait for your turn!"

"But it's my birthday, Makki!"

"Oh." Matsukawa leaned closer to Kindaichi. "Don't tell him about the message, got it?"

"Yeah. He'll be even more annoying if he sees," the Number 3 agreed.

"See what?" Iwaizumi asked, still confused.

Matsukawa passed him the phone to read for himself.

The ace started to blush as his eyes scanned the third birthday message to their team. He cleared his throat. "Uh, yeah. Don't give it to him." Iwaizumi returned the cell to Kindaichi. "And, tell her I said thanks."

"Y-yes!" the first-year stuttered.

"You're so lucky she mentioned you by name, Kunimi. We're just 'the rest of the team'." Yahaba grumbled as he finished changing. "Kindaichi. Give me her number after practice," he whispered.

"Hey!" Oikawa yelled. "Why are you hiding it from me?!"

"Kindaichi, don't," Matsukawa warned.

"Mattsun?!"

The first-year looked conflicted. "But, it is his birthday message."

"Shh!" Hanamaki hushed.

"Wait, for me?" Oikawa grinned obnoxiously. "Well, I have to see it then!"

"And there he goes..." Matsukawa shut his metal locker with a bang and headed out first. "See you in the gym."

"Yeah, see you," Iwaizumi called after him as he changed his clothes as well.

"Kindaichi, let me see!" The captain prodded for the phone.

"O-okay." He gave it to him as Hanamaki and Watari started to leave.

"The coach will get mad if you're late," the wing spiker said as the second-year libero bowed for leaving before his seniors.

"Wonder if she'll send me something on my birthday, too," Yahaba said.