#25 Go Up in Flames

I returned home.

After Dumbledore was killed in front of my eyes, after Draco vanished along with the other Death Eaters, after I ran down the tower to the rest of the school gathered around the body, raising my glimmering wand in the sky while I bursted into nothing, I returned home.

I stayed in my room most of the time, because I was afraid that I could bump into my father.

And I really didn't know what I should do next.

I spent the time in the Hogwarts Express with Hermione, Ron and Harry in one compartment, talking about their next moves, since Draco wasn't there anymore. He didn't return with us.

They planned to go and find the Horcruxes, small fragments of Voldemort's soul Harry told me about. And I was really eager to help them.

But after Hermione told me about the curse laying on me, she talked me out of it. Afraid and worried that I could get hurt.

Even though returning back to Hogwarts didn't seem to be able anymore. Now with Dumbledore gone, it wasn't a safe place for me, not with being a priority for the Death Eaters.

I stroked over my necklace, over the stone resting on my collarbone shining in the light of my lamp on the desk, looked at my too pale skin in the mirror, as Pippin swooped in through the open door leading out to my balcony.

He softly landed on the surface with a black matt envelope in his peak, quickly approaching my side to notch my arm.

"What do we have here, my love.", I smiled down and stroked his head which automatically leaned into it. Right after he let the envelope fall down in front of me.

I waited until he rested himself comfortable on me, before I took it between my fingers, already knowing from whome this letter was.

My heartbeat picked up, the fingers holding the letter starting to tremble.

Dear darling,
I hope you don't hate me. That's literally the only thought hunting my mind since I left. Not that I almost did the most cruel thing in this world, not that I almost became the person everyone around me seemed to expect except you. I was only thinking about what you think of me now.
I know you're scared, I know you're worried. And I am too. But I assure you that I will never let anything happen to you, that's why I went with them.
I never wanted to pull you into this. I never wanted to become a danger for you. And I need to keep you safe. I can't handle seeing you with a wand pressed against your throat and your startled eyes ever again.
So I want you to listen closely now, okay?
I will be at Maribel's grave at midnight. I need a few hours to get some things handled before. Pack just a few things, only what you really need and come to meet me if you're still wanna run away with me like we imagined. I want you to show me the night sky above the ocean and I wanna sit with you near the surf, probably for the rest of our life if you're having me.
I know it's a lot to ask for, but I need to know that you're safe and that's only guaranteed if you're with me.
So please don't hate me and come to meet me there. Knowing that you're out there is the only thing keeping me sane. You are keeping me sane.
I love you too. I always did and I'm looking forward to say this to your face as soon as you're in my arms again.
Come. Please.
Draco

I let the letter sink with an almost pathetic grin on my lips along with the heat crawling up my pale face. Even though everyone else was crashing down to its grounds, reading those words on paper was enough to let me bloom.