#19 Between the Lines

Madam Pomfrey wanted to keep me under her watch over night to make sure, that the cuts were sealed and my nose didn't start to bleed again.

The healer did her hardest to stop the bleeding of the cuts and I was aware of the wrinkles on her forehead every time she inspected my skin. But even though she managed after a few minutes, I felt weak and drained out for the rest of the day.

Even though I didn't think that this came only from the torture I was just under. It's the last months in general.

Maribel stayed until Madam Pomfrey ensured her that everything was okay. We didn't really talk, she gave me support in the best way by stroking my hair, staying by my side, whispery, silent apologizes in our eyes when we looked at each other from time to time. Later she excused herself and said that she was glade I would get on my feet again soon and that she would come by later after I get some sleep.

El was quick to head back to inform the others once she dragged me safely to the hospital wing.

Harry, Hermione and Ron visited me in the evening to make sure I was okay, which I really appreciated. They told me over and over how sorry they were that I had to face that excruciating punishment, because I helped them with joining the squad, but if I had the chance to rewind, I would do it again.

Even if Dumbledore's army exploded in our hands, Harry trained us at least a few helpful spells to defense ourselves against dark forces. We were at least one step closer to got prepared for whatever was coming next.

I slipped away in a light sleep before dinner. I didn't remember if Madam Pomfrey gave me something to sleep to get the rest my body needed to heal, or if it was just the exhaustion. But I got quickly snapped out as someone sat down on the chair next to my bed.

"Hey troublemaker.", Blaise chuckled as he tilted his head to smile down at my sleepy figure. My head hurt in a hammering way as I sat up a little, a weak smile on my lips. "I'm sorry I woke you."

"All fine, Zabini.", I said in a rough voice.

"Maribel came by and told us what happened.", he said, the amusement vanished out of his voice, while his eyes quickly shot to the bandaged arm resting on the blanket.

Madam Pomfrey had mixed some potions and herbs for a wrap, which should heal the cuts at least enough to remove the pain and the biggest damage over night. Since the bleeding was quite strong, she didn't want to use proper magic on them in fear they would open again.

"Yeah, well, you predicted, didn't you.", I smirked and quickly squeezed the back of my nose to get rid of the headache. „I was on top of her priority list."

"True.", he huffed. "Maybe Arithmancy indeed is useful to widen the gaze for the future."

"That's something to discuss.", I quirked an eyebrow and leaned back against the pillow again to get comfortable.

Speaking of Arithmancy let me remember, that I should have another meeting with Firenze that afternoon, which I missed with latest events. - great.

"You're okay?", the boy asked more serious this time. His hand came hesitantly forward to grab my hand on the non injured side and by his touch I felt my walls crack.

Nothing was okay, so I shock my head.

Maribel, of course, even though she apologized and was there for me, but still felt miles away. My feelings for Draco which grew even if he said those things to me, lied to me again. My parents who set me up for my future probably in the same breath they're bought another estate somewhere, nightmares which got less common since I talked to Firenze, but where still there. And Umbridge who successfully drowned the last bit of will to fight with scratching my biggest regret into my skin, staying there to remind me of it. I was simply exhausted.