Home

The second day back home is already enough to make me think I never left. Despite the scars and torture, I've returned to normalcy. Ann said I could walk around now that my frostbite wounds have healed, but only if it's to keep myself active and free of bed sores and stiff muscles.

I take a sip from the coffee Ann prepared and burn my tongue, "Agh! Fuck me."

Ann sighs as I put my coffee down and put my hand to my lips, "This is the one that escaped Zalga's castle with someone on his back? How did you ever make it home?"

Although I know she's being sarcastic, I answer, "Luck. It was all luck."

"Scarecrow's aid and the Dregs' retreat," Ann nods, "Slenda may say what she wants, but Scarecrow does not seem to be hostile toward you."

"Agreed. She wouldn't risk Zalga's punishment for nothing, though," I feel the side of my coffee mug, the heat of it enough to burn through the ceramic.

"We never told you about what happened when you disappeared, did we?" Ann takes a sip of her black coffee.

I shake my head, already feeling the despair Ann must've gone through at the time.

She sets her mug down and passes it between her hands, "It goes without saying that everyone was devastated. Even Jess. After we finished with your grave, and the funeral rites concluded, Jess had mentioned on a side note that she always respected your courage. That was enough to surprise all of us and make us feel even worse. Through the thick and thin you always kept a positive face. You carry a smile that still makes me swoon to this day. Everyone became more and more... invested in you?"

"Invested?" I tilt my head.

"I am not quite sure either. I do not know how to describe it, but everyone began to think about you more often," she drinks more of her coffee, "Perhaps it was in losing you that everyone became conscious of the weight your presence had here."

I nod, testing my coffee again, "What else happened?"

"Once the crying stopped – for most of us – we did our best to go back to normal. Rouge could not forgive herself, however, and resumed her cutting practices. I had to keep her locked in the medical room with me day and night. On top of that, Jane took her anger out on Jess again, blaming her for everything. Angel was always by herself, locked in her room. Jill did not come out of hers to play with Tobi or Benny either. Things took a downturn from there... We held Crucible after Crucible to keep everyone at the top of their game, but we did not improve as much as we should have. Life went back to normal, in time; a few of us healed while the rest went back to their old sad, hateful selves. Then, you came home," Ann looks at me, a smile under her mask, which I try to mimic.

She looks down at her coffee, "I hope you do not feel as if you are to blame."

"I know I'm not," I take a sip of my coffee now that it's gotten cooler, "It's just a lot to process. Everyone will be fine now, though, right?"

"It feels like it," Ann drinks the last of her coffee and places the empty mug on one side of her desk.

I glance at her eyes, "You look pretty with heterochromia."

Ann pulls her mask up higher to hide her blush, "Stop that."

"How's it treating you?" I take another drink of my coffee.

She smiles, blinking a bit more than usual, "Your eye will take a bit of getting used to, especially since I am no longer seeing through one eye alone. What about your glass eye?"

I feel my eyepatch, which is black with a scarlet circle inscribed with an X through its shape, "Cleaning it will take some getting used to, but once it's in, it doesn't feel any different than a normal one."