Down to the Wire

Sitting up, I awaken from my nap struggling to remember what year it is. The car still hums along the snowy road under the cover of a late-autumn night. I peer out the window, met only with darkness. Ann and Jackie both whisper to each other in the front seats.

"Are we somewhere yet?" I stretch as I put my arms over the seat in front of me.

Jackie glances in the rear-view mirror, and Ann turns her head around to say, "We are driving until we are far enough from the noise. Besides, we cannot risk going into a city for gas; we must find a gas station in the middle of nowhere."

I look out at the shadow-shrouded plains of snow, "Guess we don't know where we're going?"

Jackie thumbs the wheel rhythmically, "Nope."

Jane still sleeps on the seat in front of me, her legs curled up. She remains dreaming despite our conversation over her. So much for sleeping with one eye open. I thought it was natural to sleep lightly in this line of work. I smile at how peaceful she looks.

Ann murmurs out of the blue, "Quit your gawking, (Y/N). I am more mature than she is."

The car swerves as Jackie turns around, "What?"

The movement wakes Jane when she bumps the top of her head against the car door. She sits up, the pistol gripped in her hand as she looks around. The car comes to a stop as Jackie pulls us over.

"Is this really necessary?" I question as Jane groans, rubbing her head.

Jane is ready to stab someone for her rude awakening, "What the hell is happening?"

"(Y/N) does not appreciate my body," Jackie mumbles like a child.

"That's not even close to what happened!" I yell back.

Ann faces forward again, "Forget it. (Y/N)'s tastes will change, I am sure."

"Let's continue driving. Please?" I ask with desperation as Jane sighs.

She turns to me, "What happened?"

"Nothing," I quickly dismiss her question.

Jackie whispers to herself, bringing us back onto the road before the snow can box us in. They all seem to forget about the situation and sit quietly. Jane stares out the window as Ann checks herself in the mirror. Jackie grins at me whenever I glance at the rear-view mirror, her mask still removed.

I go back to watching the snowfall outside and take out my knife. I feel its edge and the sharpness with which I killed two people. Black as obsidian, it melts into the night when I hold it up to the window. I can barely see blood on it.

Looking up, I check to see if anyone is watching me before starting to flip it in my hand. I stop when I catch the blade awkwardly and cut my finger. After a few minutes, I make an attempt at spinning it in my palm.

I spin it once and it falls to the floor. Picking it up, I shake my head and try it once more. It falls again and nearly pierces my toe. Again, I pick it up and spin it, catching after a full 360. I grin and spin the knife again, making another rotation.

"Holy shit, Jane, watch this!" I move forward and sit beside her.

She leans over to watch and so does Ann. I spin the knife in my hand but drop it onto the floor and curse when they laugh.

"I swear I can do this, just watch," I hold the knife in my hand firmly.

With a flick of my wrist, I spin and catch the knife back in its regular grip. Ann claps for me patronizingly, but Jane laughs again and takes out her own knife.