Glimpse of Hell

Having been assigned to investigating Painter's trail, I sigh at the damage Slenda did. Everything is demolished. An entire wall was pulverized and cracks can be followed to the wall parallel to the impact. The bed is flipped and the nightstand is nothing but toothpicks. Art supplies are scattered about and paint splatters everything in sight. Jackie lifts a ripped canvas as Clocky and Jane knock on the walls like madwomen. 

"What are you doing?" I ask them and start knocking on the walls to mimic their manic investigation.

"Wait! Do that again!" Clocky points at me.

"What? This?" I knock on the wall again.

Jane moves me aside before pushing on the wall. The outline of a square appears and she smirks. Jane fits her knife into the edge and pops the drywall out. Inside is a wooden compartment which Jane reaches into and pulls out a book and a few papers. She begins going through it as I stand wide-eyed.

"I knew that sounded hollow," Jane grins before opening the book and reading:

"March 2nd, 2014: Angel is suspicious again. Must invite her for more painting lessons. Convince her otherwise with a sense of security. Ann is getting nosy. Mislead Slenda into thinking Ann started the fight with Angel. Jill now trusts me. Keep her hooked."

Jane scoffs, "That wretch has been keeping a record of her manipulation this entire time! She even made an entry about pulling me aside to victimize me and demonize Ann for treating Jess's wounds!"

She flips through the pages and hands it to Clocky, who starts flipping to the end of the book, "Look, there's one about (Y/N)! 'A new member. I must talk to him before he sees Ann first. Mention to Slenda that I should show him around the mansion.'"

"I guess those plans never came to fruition," I cross my arms, "Slenda sent me on my first killing and then Ann tended to my wound before I could meet Painter. What else does it say?" I lean over Clocky's shoulder.

"'Not fast enough. Ann became bitter toward him. Perhaps I can still convince him.'" Clocky turns a few more pages, "Boring! We need relevant information. Here: '(Y/N) and Ann are both exiled. Jane and Jackie joined them. Perhaps it was best. The mansion is now in the palm of my hand. My little toys are at my subtle command. Slenda is saddened. She came to a therapy session for the first time. Jill has begun asking for them more frequently.'"

Clocky continues to the final page, "'Slenda, during her therapy session, stood up and teleported away with haste. I am concerned. She has continually expressed worry about the four in exile despite how much she says she hates 'their traitorous hides'. Must make her forget. Slenda is back. (Y/N) has returned. I must leave. To whoever finds this, I am not sorry. Chaos is my only passion.'"

All three of us stare at the book and each other while Jackie continues to rummage through the debris. She's had everything planned out since the start. She never thought for us... a pure-bred psychopath. I take a few of the papers from Jane and start reading one. Lists of what each of the girls loved, hated, laughed at, and more. I pull out the next one and my breath catches. A woman wreathed in shadow stands there: a perfect mirror of the demoness that invaded my nightmare.

Zalga.

"Get this to Slenda," I hand the picture to Jane.

She somehow becomes paler, "You three keep looking around. Do not leave a single stone unturned!"

Clocky and I step over to Jackie as Jane leaves the room. Jackie stands at the broken window, eyeing the trees outside the mansion as the sun dips over the treetops.

"She had no time to react. Painter fled through the window. Someone would notice otherwise," she turns to me, "We have a trail."

* * *