Chapter 40

A/N: thanks everyone for the votes and feedback! Although I long finished writing this I still love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Tara had to stay at the hospital and Opie had gone back to TM after he waved the Prospects and Roxy off. However when he heard about their detour he called Ratboy and blasted him over the phone. Roxy felt bad for him but didn't have it in her to apologise.

Gemma happily toked up with Roxy and they spent the rest of the morning getting high and trying to forget everything. Sheriff Roosevelt came by to take Roxy's statement and although Rat had tried to delay him and ask him to come back later he wouldn't.

"Ms. Morrow, good morning. I hope this isn't a bad time?" He raised his eyebrow at her current state.

"I don't think there's ever going to be a good time Sheriff." Roxy glared.

"I guess so. I just need to ask you a few questions about the crash. I have Mr. Kozik's statement, I believe he was escorting you at the time but I'll need a statement from you as well."

They went through everything, how Roxy didn't see it coming, didn't remember anything and that the other driver was due to be discharged from hospital today but he'd be charged with 'dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm'.

"Should be occasioning death. I lost a little boy because of him." Roxy was showing emotion for the first time the whole conversation.

"I know but I'm sorry Ms. Morrow, the law doesn't recognise a foetus as alive until it takes a breath. And that usually doesn't happen until at least 22weeks." Roosevelt knew this all too well. His wife and him had been trying for years. They'd conceived once and it resulted in a pre-term birth that the baby did not survive. Since then there had been nothing. "That means he can't be charged with that. I'm truly sorry."

Roxy didn't acknowledge him and just went back to staring at the coffee table.

Gemma spoke up now. "I think that's all Sheriff. She needs her rest."

Roosevelt agreed. "I understand. I think we have what we need." He motioned to his officer to leave and turned back around. "I hope you recover well, just go easy on the weed. I'll be checking for a card next time." He nodded to both Roxy and Gemma and departed. Rat shut the door behind him and made his way back down the yard.

xxx xxx

Opie and Chibs came by that night. Juice was out of solitary and they'd been in touch with him and Jax. Things weren't looking good and he was a bit off. The guys were worried things would get more dramatic. Roxy had refused to talk to him in the afternoon when he called her so they were round to check out what was going on. She was in a terrible mood anyway, she packed in her job at the hospital. She'd already used so much time off and she'd need forever to get over this and it just wasn't fair on her coworkers to keep putting up with that.

So when Chibs and Opie came round she had no time for them.

"He really needs to talk to ya love." Chibs was giving the joint in her hand a disapproving look. She was already high as a kite.

"Yeah? Well I really just need to be left the fuck alone." Roxy's attitude surprised Chibs.

"Ok. But you're going to need to talk to him eventually. The guys are worried about him."

Roxy was silent for a few moments. "I am too Chibs. But how the hell am I supposed to talk to him about this? What do I say? How the fuck do I tell him that the baby boy we did have died and we'll probably never be able to have kids again? When you figure it out let me know. Until then, just leave me alone." Roxy got up and slowly made her way upstairs to her room.