Chapter 24

The following day Roxy was staying close around the clubhouse. She had taken some leave from work while the club sorted all this stuff out. They weren't taking any chances now that they knew.

After busting herself in the office most of the morning, Roxy decided to head outside for a smoke. Deciding to check the garage first she wandered through.

No one else was around except Chibs, who was sitting solemnly on one of the stools next to his toolbox.

"Chibs? Everything ok? You feeling alright?" She was a bit worried given his recent injury.

He looked up, eyes glassy, "yeah m'fine everything's fine."

She hesitated and decided to go over to him, pulling a stool as she went. "No offence Chibs but it doesn't really look like that."

He sighed. "Ever done something that's made you feel wretched... Protecting someone you loved?" He looked up at her now and she could see the conflict and pain in his eyes.

"S'pose."

He looked back down and started to cry.

"Chibs." She didn't know what to do other than pat his back comfortingly.

"I've dug myself a good one kid. Jesus. I've got no idea how to get out."

He broke down fully now and Roxy just hugged him. It startled her to see him so vulnerable. She had never seen Chibs like this before and it was super unlike any of them to let Roxy in on club stuff like this.

"What do I do?"

"Tell them. Whatever it is. It's the only way out of the hole." She shrugged.

Chibs looked in her eyes and nodded. He seemed to steel himself before standing up. "D'ya know what love? Don't know what we'd do without you n your Ma. We love ya." He bent over and kissed her forehead before making his way across the lot to the clubhouse.

Chibs' behaviour only solidified the feeling Roxy had in her gut about the club and its current standing. After what she witnessed with Tig yesterday, everything with Zobelle and his crew, things were just heating up around here.

xxx xxx

Juice had luckily managed to stay out of his brothers' way most of the day, collecting everyone's guns and doing a stocktake. He hoped he was proving himself useful to Clay whilst also avoiding the constant jokes and comments made to him regarding Roxy.

He had thought given recent developments that they guys would be more concerned for her safety and less concerned with their love life. But that was apparently not going to happen.

Sitting in Church they were trying to make a plan and garner information regarding Zobelle and their current situation. But Juice's mind kept drifting back to Roxy and the previous night. They had talked some more about their relationship, something he did not enjoy, but spent the rest of the evening in bed together, something that he did enjoy. Thus making it hard for him to concentrate on what was an important meeting.

They were just starting to get somewhere when Chibs interrupted looking distraught. He opened up about his pending deal with Stahl, all to protect his estranged wife and daughter. Juice knew a little about their relationship and how Jimmy O had broken them up and sent Chibs away fearing for his life. Stahl was taking advantage of his hate for Jimmy O and love for his family.

Juice was starting to understand that love and how it could be easily manipulated. After finding out what happened to Gemma and Roxy and the current threat on Roxy's safety, he knew he'd do anything to protect her so he didn't fault his brother on that.