11 | oranges

C H A P T E R
E L E V E N

Four weeks after Elijah left
• • •

I can't stop throwing up. I can't stop having migraines every single day. Hot flashes and cold shivers circulate through my body like a damn tornado. One day I'm cold, then the next couple of days I'm sweating my ass off.

The smell of seafood makes me nauseous and the only thing that will break the dry heaves are oranges.

I read about how the peel from an orange can reduce nausea. If someone looked inside my purse right now they would see five of them suckers. Sniffing these bad boys help tremendously.

Google. Google. Google.

My history is filled with remedies and jobs hiring locally in our town.

Fred works in engineering so he makes decent money, but I'm not going to depend on him for everything. I want to be able to provide for this baby alone if something were to ever happen.

Before I took the test I just knew I was pregnant. Deep down, something was telling me this was it. The symptoms, breast pains, constant fatigue, and the time frame of it all— it made sense.

What didn't make sense was why he had left me. I hated what I did, but I had nowhere else to go. So, I swallowed my pride and started the biggest lie that would forever haunt me.

Went back to Fred.

Telling him he was going to be a Dad.

"Is there something you need to tell me?"

Elijah opens his mouth to speak again, but I quickly cut him off.

"It looks like you already figured it out."

"Seriously?" His voice grows louder. "That's how I find out about my daughter?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. It's not like you took off and never came back," My nails dig into my arms as they stretch across my chest. "I didn't know how to get in contact with you."

He runs his tongue along his bottom lip, cursing under his breath. "Fuck, Valerie."

"I've been dreading this day. I've been lying to everyone. She's going to hate me," My back finds the concrete wall, leaning gently against it while I rest my head. "Fred too."

Elijah suddenly stands up straight, fixing his posture. "What?"

Oh fuck.

Shit.

"Ughhh," I moan loudly and run a hand through my hair. "He thinks he's the father."

"Thinks or knows?"

My eyes lock with his and I try my best to look the other way, but I owe this to him. I just know this is going to hurt him completely.

"I told him he was going to be a Dad."

A frustrated growl spills out of his mouth, making me tighten the grip of my arms that are around my chest. "Why the hell would you do that?"