6 | fate

C H A P T E R
S I X

That night I find myself questioning if this was a good idea. Sure, I've always wondered when this day would come. If I would ever see him again and now that I have, I don't know what to think.

My anxiety is a bitch and overthinks every scenario that revolves around my life. Like the time I caught Georgia and Fred fucking in our bed right after Cynthia turned three.

That can't be your best friend Georgia. No, it's a clone. Fred's not at fault, she is taking advantage of him.

Give me a fucking break.

I can obviously see the two of them going at it like rabbits while she moans his name like she's been doing it for years now.

Thank God I ditched them both.

I see Fred every now and then, but only if it revolves around our daughter. We aren't good friends and I don't plan on it any time soon.

"You alright?" Elijah mumbles while I stare at my food on the table.

I slowly pick up a fry and take a bite. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Liar.

"Where do you want me to start?" He says calmly while taking a sip of his water.

He is dressed in khaki pants with a light blue shirt, matching the cerulean in his eyes. A freshly shaved face and messy hair finish the look, which makes it harder to look away.

Even after all these years I still feel the same way I did back then.

"Why are you here?"

"I moved back recently and ended up finding a job here in St. Helena."

"And it had to be where I work? Don't you see how ironic that is?"

He nods. "Fate has a way of bringing two people together."

I instantly roll my eyes. "I don't have time for jokes, Elijah."

Our waiter brings us the receipt and sets it in the middle of the table. As he walks away I raise my hand to tell him our order was separate but Elijah insists on paying tonight.

"I can pay for myself."

"I know, Valerie. It's my treat, though."

"Fine." I cross my arms against my chest. Suddenly, a light bulb goes off in my head as I sit there for a few minutes. "So, you did move?"

"Yes," I watch him rub his hands against his knees. "I've been in Canada all these years."

"Why?"

"Do you remember my little brother?"

My face glows at the mention of him. He was the sweetest boy. "Of course I remember Benny. How is he?"

Elijah's face whirls into an ivory color. This is odd because he has a natural olive skin tone. His jaw clenched before swallowing the pain away. Almost hoping to lighten up the conversation. I've never seen him turn so white before.

The ivory color is gone and replaced with the fairest skin I've ever seen. It's like he's seen a ghost or will be sick to his stomach if he even tries to speak.

"What is it?" I ask in panic.

"He's the reason why I left, Val. I'm so sorry for what I did, but I had no choice."

Elijah

"Where are we going?" Benny begs with a huge smile on his face.