3 | murder

C H A P T E R
T H R E E

After I tell Ashley more about the story she looks astonished the entire time. Her eyes are full of shock and outrage over everything. How do you think I feel?

"Why did it take him so long to come back?" She mumbles softly, helping me up from the cold tile floor.

"Why did he leave in the first place?" I feel my heart break the minute the words fell out of my mouth. Just thinking about the most darkest part of my life makes my nausea return. I was a complete mess and he's to thank for that.

"What are you going to do?" She questions, holding my hand for reassurance.

"What I do best."

Acting like I don't give a fuck.

"This won't be good." She lets out a deep breath making me smile back.

"All I need to do is mind my business and act like everything is okay."

Easier said than done.

"You think you can really do that?"

I swallow bard. "I have no choice."

We step out of the bathroom into the hall and find our way back to our cubical desks. I keep my head held high showing everyone that I'm fine and nothing will phase me.

Once again— easier said than done.

A few girls glance my way. I know what they are thinking. This bitch is fucking crazy. I can't believe she went stupid on our new boss. What's her problem?

I've heard worse things.

My heart skips a beat as I think more about our past. I shake my head to clear my thoughts and focus more on what's in front of me.

There's a big assignment due by the end of the week that Ashley and I have been working on for months now. We've just about got it finished, the only thing holding us back is the property files that our manager, Mindy, is hanging on to.

One thing about her that you must know is she's terrible at her job. Our projects have fallen through many times, because of her lack of communication. Her version of socializing is putting her nose where it doesn't belong.

Vagina included.

"Don't do anything stupid," Ashley admits when she sees the annoyance spread across my face.

Some days I could literally kill Mindy.

She's lucky I need this job or I would have already been fired.

Sued.

Guilty of murder.

"She won't give us the contract we need and this project is due Friday. If we lose this client because of her," I stop mid-sentence as I pinch the bridge of my nose, taking in a much needed deep breath. "I will be right back."

"Valerie!" She calls out, but I ignore her completely as I jerk up from my desk and march towards Mindy's office.

I can't be the only fucking adult here.

As soon as my feet find their way down the hall, I instantly stop by her door and hear a familiar voice.

His voice.

She's already shoving her tits in his face and talking about the Panama beach she will be attending this summer.

He agrees with how amazing the weather is during May and can't wait to go again sometime. Maybe soon.