Chapter Twenty-One

A fortnight had passed since Violet and Emdund had last seen each other. In that time, Violet had restlessly considered Mrs. Steven's words. Her ankle had finally healed, so she could walk again, but running games were not quite back in her daily regiment. In this period of healing, Violet's thoughts were consumed by Edmund. She had never stopped loving him, and reckoned she never would. Though she was happy at Southsmith Park--Mr. and Mrs. Stevens were much too kind to her, and she adored little Elisabeth--she realised she had no future there. Her work as a governess, which she had once accepted to be her life, and reecepted some months ago--would never truly be enough for Violet live fully. Without Edmund, a piece of her would always be missing, empty, even.

It was long overdue to make her own happiness, and a life and a love that she had convinced she would never be worthy of, or accepted to have. It was a sudden feeling, of hope, and love, not only for Edmund, but for herself. The feeling sunk into her, spreading warmth and tingles of joy as it filled her heart.

Violet had finally felt what Edmund had been telling her everyday of their acquaintance. That she was worthy of true happiness. It was something she had known in her head, but never quite felt. After her father died, duty and place came before happiness. Family love came before romantic love. But it was time to finally hold what was meant to be hers.

*

Edmund swallowed hard to prevent his heart from leaping out of his throat. He had received a letter from Southsmith Park that he was needed urgently, and to come right away. There had been no explanation as to what was wrong, which caused his imagination to run rampant. Of course his thoughts were on Violet-- what if she had fallen down the stairs and hit her head, trying to walk on her ankle too soon? Or what if she had somehow caught an infection or illness, and she was lying in bed, dying? Or perhaps it was not Violet at all. But something in his gut told him it was.

Edmund galloped his horse through the forest, gripping his massive steed as they made their way closer to Southsmith Park. Closer to Violet.

It had taken every bit of restraint in him not to hold her in his arms and declare his love for her once more. To try again, just once, in the hopes that they might find their way back to each other. But it wasn't the time or the place to do so. And for the last fortnight he had been trying to find a way to bring about such a time or place.

But now was no time for that. Edmund rode up to the estate and jumped down from his horse. He didn't even wait for the stablehand to take the reins before he approached the front door. When he was welcomed inside, his chest nearly burst as his eyes searched for Violet, but he did not see her.

"Dr. Langley, so good of you to come. And so promptly." Mrs. Stevens said, rising from her chair in the drawing room.

"How can I be of service?" Edmund asked, still breathing heavily from the ride over.

"Ms. Blakely is in the back gardens and is in need of your assistance again." Something about Mrs. Steven's countenance seemed odd, but he paid no mind to it. He might have noticed the sparkle in her eye and the slight upwards curl in the corner of mouth--if his attentions were not so solely focused on Violet. He nodded, and allowed himself to be guided to the gardens by a footman.

Outside, the sky was darkening, as it was now evening. It turned and tinted everything in sight in a blanket of grey. All fear relaxed when Edmund's eyes landed on Violet, standing in the center of the pathway. In her hands she held a cluster of honeysuckle blossoms, their thin yellow petals almost glowing. He wanted to run to her, but somehow his feet refused to move. Instead, Violet strode up to him, stopping short only a few inches from him. She stretched her neck and looked sweetly up at him, as strands of her hair carelessly hung where they wished. She looked more beautiful and radiant than she ever had before.

"You nearly killed me," Edmund breathed. "With that letter, I thought something terrible had happened to you."

"I didn't mean to upset you," Violet said, eyes filled with concern. "But I needed to see you urgently."

"Did you?"

"Yes, because I've realized I cannot go a single day longer without telling you how much I regret leaving you at Kently House. I left a piece of myself with you that day, and I've come to tell you I'd like you to have all the rest. Because the truth is, I will love you until my dying breath." Tears welled in Violet's eyes, not from sadness, but from the wave of love and hope that radiated from her. "And I know it's rather improper of me to speak so freely, but I reckon we have never been all that proper, and there is no use starting now."

Violet held up the honeysuckle, and Edmund wordless left bent his head to smell the sweet fragrant smell of the flower. Spring had come again, and with it, a new chance to bloom.

*

Violet nuzzled her nose near Edmund's as they smelled the honeysuckle together.

And then, their eyes met.

In one look, it was as though Violet had awoken from a long, strange sleep. Gone were the days of secret dreams, imagining what life might be like with Edmund. Gone were the nightmares of their obstacles. Both were awake and ready for the life ahead, which would live together.

THE END