Chapter Four

The freshness of the morning proved to do wonders for Violet's spirits and nerves. She felt anew, and was quite eager to begin her tutoring of the children. Even on her worst days, she was always able to take comfort in the children, and their spirited cries of "Miss Violet!" every morning when they were reunited. It was as if Charlotte and Fredric had not seen Violet in a fortnight, rather than a night, and it filled Violet with a warmth most indescribable.

Violet had begun the children's studies with writing, per usual. She swiftly bounced from Freddy's letters to Charlotte's words, then back again. A half hour of this passed rather quickly, as it usually did when Violet invested her full attention to her work. Nothing would distract her today.

"Alright children, let's move on to reading," Violet said. She rose and ran her fingers over the spines of books, which rested on the bookshelf of the school room. "I want to introduce you to one of Shakespeare's plays, which I believe you will enjoy. But--I cannot seem to find it."

Violet scanned the books once more, but alas, she could not find the title she was looking for.

"I'll look in the library for it. I'll only be a moment, but Charlotte, you're in charge while I'm gone," Violet said.

"Splendid!" Charlotte said. She smiled widely and her eyes narrowed deviously on Freddy. Though Charlotte was much fairer and prettier than her mother, Violet almost shuddered at their resemblance just then. As she left the children and swiftly walked through the maze of halls which lead to the library, Violet hoped she would not regret leaving Charlotte in charge of her brother. She thought she heard little Charlotte telling Freddy to sit up straight in a very stern, proper tone.

Oh Charlotte.

Within a minute or two Violet had entered the Langley's library. It was one of her favorite places at the Langley estate, second only to the gardens. Each wall was covered in shelves and consequently, books. There was a sliding ladder to reach the higher shelves, and an armoire in the middle of the room to read in. A fireplace on the far left wall exuded a faint smell of crackling smoke, which paired nicely with the overpowering, yet enchanting smell of book.

Violet took a deep breath and smiled to herself. She dragged her fingers across more book spines, searching for the one in her mind's eye. Eventually she spotted it, and her long fingers clutched it tightly, as if afraid the book would slip out of her grip and fly away.

The school room was a ways away from the library, as they were on opposite wings of the house. Violet, rather skilled at walking quickly, began her journey back, but slowed when she heard men yelling in Alfred Langley's study. Their voices were slightly muffled by the closed door, but Violet could still distinguish Alfred and Edmund Langley's voices behind it.

"I can't believe you, Alfred!" shouted Edmund. Violet's feet stopped, refusing to move. She stood just outside the study, and listened, heart pounding, on the brothers' heated conversation. Though she knew it was wrong, Violet couldn't seem to move. Edmund's outburst had caught her attention. He continued, in a more controlled, yet scolding tone, "You have a wife and children!"

"Oh please, Edmund, your scolds are the last thing I need right now," countered Alfred Langley.

"No, apparently it is only my money that you need," said Edmund Langley.

Violet inhaled a sharp breath. She really should leave--get back to the children. This was none of her business.

"Don't pretend you are better than I, Edmund!" Alfred Langley's deep voice echoed through the walls in a white fury. "Don't think I've forgotten what happened at Oxford."