Chapter Five

Edmund and Violet stared at each other as another silence overcame them. They stood in the hedge maze, as thoughts of his brother slowly drifted away. It wasn't until now that Edmund had noticed a small freckle which dwelled on the side of Miss Violet's nose. Now that he really had the chance to look, he began to see more and more freckles, which dotted Miss Violet's skin like little stars in the sky. They weren't clustered together like most freckles, but were spread out, as if each one were placed with careful consideration.

Suddenly Fredric leaped out from behind a hedge, causing both Edmund and Miss Violet to startle.

"This way! Come follow me Uncle and Violet!" cried Fredric with excitement. In a blink Fredric had disappeared back behind the shrubbery, leaving Edmund and Miss Violet no choice but to follow. Edmund glanced at Miss Violet who gave him a soft smile. Then, he turned back to the hedges up ahead, and followed Fredric, who had now joined with Charlotte.

As the group found their way through the greenery, Edmund tried not to think about why he felt somewhat drawn to Miss Violet, and was utterly aware of her closeness now more than ever. He really needed to get out of this blasted maze.

Three more minutes and Edmund did escape the walls of the Langey hedge maze. Though he had been through it countless times as a child, it always was a challenge to get through. But alas, he and his companions were out, and once again able to see the massive grounds surrounding them. In the distance, Edmund spotted a black steed riding up the long road to the Langely's estate. He reckoned his brother had finally come back from the pub.

"Look! Papa's home!" said Fredric, pointing to the horse and rider in the distance. Charlotte followed his gaze but said nothing in response. Instead, she turned to her governess and hugged her leg.

"I feel tired," Charlotte said. Miss Violet stroked the girl's yellow hair softly.

"Then let us retire indoors," said Miss Violet. She looked up at Edmund as if wanting to say something, but not quite finding the words to do so.

"I believe it is here that we part ways. It has been a pleasure," Emdund said, bowing. He knew he was going to regret this, but he turned and started towards Alfred and his horse. He took a deep breath as he crossed the grounds and approached his brother. Edmund wasn't nearly as angry as he had been this morning, but he feared that anger was only resting in Alfred's absence. And if Alfred was in his cups, Edmund was quite sure they'd have a repeat of the morning.

"Where have you been?" Edmund asked, in an accusatory tone. He looked up at Alfred, who was still atop his massive steed. Alfred scowled down at his brother.

"I assumed you would have left by now." Alfred remarked, ignoring Edmund's question. He dismounted his horse, landing heavily a few feet away from Edmund. When they were little, Alfred used to overpower him being older and taller, but now that Edmund was a man, he was no longer intimidated by Alfred.

"I asked you a question," pressed Edmund. Alfred handed his horse off to the stable boy and started towards the house. Edmund followed.

"If you must know," started Alfred, his tone sharp. "I was selling some of Katherine's jewelry."

"Does Katherine know you're doing this?"

Alfred stopped short and faced Edmund. His face was serious, but it also looked tired. Edmund noticed Alfred was acquiring more grey hairs seemingly by the day.

"What do you think?" Alfred asked, though it wasn't a question to answer aloud. Edmund knew Alfred wouldn't have told Katherine, because if Katherine knew Alfred was in need of money, he'd have to explain why.