Chapter Twelve

"It is just as we suspected, I fear," Edmund said to his brother. He set the letter down with a forceful slap of his hand. Alfred stood with his arm on the mantle of the fireplace and sighed. Some time had passed since the two had last fought, when events had spiraled into a physical nature. As such, Alfred and Edmund had moved on and were once again on speaking terms. It was the natural pattern of the Langley brothers: to argue and mend, in a rather quick succession.

"Mr. Andrews says your gambling debts are valid, and if you were to deny them, it would likely result in a challenge to a duel," Edmund continued. His old friend from boarding school had finally returned his letter in regards to Alfred's debts. He had hoped the eyes of a lawyer would give the situation some hope, yet it seemed to have the reverse effect. "Because your only options are to pay your debts or surrender your estate to Lord Albey, Mr. Andrews suggests attempting to form some relationships with your debter. Perhaps you might be able to come to a less threatening agreement with Lord Albey, such as a longer timeline to pay your debt."

"This Mr. Andrews truly believes that becoming friendly with Albey, will somehow cause him to forget of my debts? Rubbish, I say." Alfred scoffed.

"That is not what he means. But it certainly cannot hurt to get into the good graces of Lord Albey."

"No, I suppose not."

The muffled sound of giggling children caught Edmund's attention, causing him to rise from chair and turn towards the window. Outside, Violet was picking flowers with the children, and collecting them in a basket. Edmund watched as Violet tickled the back of little Freddy's neck with a daisy, causing the boy to scrunch up his neck and laugh. Edmund found himself grinning at this and wishing he was with them. His eyes focused on Violet, starving for her company, for her touch. Perhaps it was ungentlemanly of Edmund to have kissed her the night before last, having not yet an official understanding with her. But Edmund could not help himself. That dinner had been less than pleasant, with Ms. Hart's passive insults and Mrs. Langley's opinions on the ideal Mrs. Edmund Langley. But it had caused him to think of his future, if only a little. And he was beginning to realize that he was in love--true, deep love, with Violet.

"What do you think of it?"

Alfred's question cut through Edmund's thoughts and pulled his attention back on his brother. Edmund turned away from the window and looked blankly at Alfred. He had completely missed what Alfred had been rambling about, and now was unsure of what to say.

"I--come again?"

Alfred, clearly irritated he had to repeat himself, rolled his eyes and took a swig of brandy before replying.

"The Browns are having a private ball in a few days. Lord Albey is likely to attend. I might speak to him then."

"That is a splendid idea." Edmund said.

"And you will come, as well?" Alfred asked. There was a slight hopefulness in his tone, as if Alfred wished for his brother's support.

"Certainly," Edmund said in earnest.

The brothers nodded at each other in a silent understanding. For the moment, all was good between them, and Edmund hoped it might last longer than the last time.

*

Violet was in a state of undeniable euphoria and happiness. She could not help but think of Edmund at nearly all times of the day. She felt like a giddy child, taking too much pleasure in everything around her. And she minded not. The night before last, Edmund had proved his affections for her grew deeper than friendship. He had kissed her. And in doing so, Violet felt that perhaps there was some hope for a future with him. She knew soon the realities of that hope would eventually attack her, as they always did. But at the moment, such thoughts were left clawing at her, with little success. Violet reveled in her reverie, hoping one day it might be her reality.