Chapter Eight

It had been nearly a fortnight since Edmund had arrived at the Langley estate, and in such a time, he had grown quite a fondness to his niece and nephew's governess. Violet was a pleasant conversationalist, and was sweet in spirit, which was refreshing, when much of Edmund's time was spent with his aloof brother and interdependent sister-in-law. Really, it seemed as though Edmund's time was split between fighting with his brother, or sitting through an insufferably proper afternoon tea or promenade with Katherine. As much as he loved his family, he was beginning to take great joy in escaping them at any chance he got, with the sole object of seeing Violet.

Part of Edmund knew it was wrong, or at least improper, to be so friendly with a member of his brother's staff. He did not wish to put Violet's position at risk were Alfred, or God forbid, Katherine, discover Edmund's slight attachment to their governess. But every time he thought of these reasons to discontinue any familiarity he had her, he thought of more reasons not to.

Violet was much more than his family's governess, was she not? She was her own person, and a beautiful young woman. And though society dictated that she was below Edmund in station, a differing perspective contradicted this. Violet was an educated woman working in a respectable position, as was Edmund an educated man, soon to be working in a respectable position. Really, were they truly that different? And if they were, did it matter?

Edmund's musings were interrupted by his sister-in-law, who appeared in the doorway of the parlor, looking unusually thrilled.

"Edmund, I think you will be pleased that we will have company with dinner tonight." Katherine said this will little exclamation, yet her wide, slim smile shone with more excitement than her tone alluded. Edmund raised his eyebrow, intrigued.

"Really? Anyone I know?" he asked. Katherine scurried across the room and sat in the chair opposite his own. She composed herself as she straightened her skirts and elegantly draped her palms in her lap.

"Yes, indeed," she said. "Ms. Hart is to dine with us. Delightful young lady, is she not?"

Edmund searched his memory for the name Ms. Hart. Ah yes, the one who always giggled and agreed with everything he said. She hadn't given him a particularly agreeable impression in the past, but Edmund could not deny Ms. Hart was very handsome.

"Indeed," Edmund agreed out of politeness.

"Her father was to dine as well, but he is feeling a bit ill, as of late. So we will just be blessed with Ms. Hart's presence."

Edmund only grunted in response; his mind wandered to is brother, as it had been frequently. It was time Edmund did something about his brother's situation, even if only a little.

"Please excuse me, Katherine, I've just remembered I have some business I must attend to." Edmund said, rising from his seat.

"But you will be back in time for dinner, will you not?" Katherine inquired. She rose from her seat as well, so she was eye-level with Edmund.

"I wouldn't miss it," Edmund said with a reassuring smile. He bowed and fled from the room, and for that matter, the Langley estate. Edmund was tired of arguing with his brother and pondering whether he was to help him for not. Edmund had made the decision to help Alfred with his predicament, if only a little, some time ago. Tonight he would give Alfred some money.

*

The evening came swiftly, and with it, the presence of Ms. Isobella Hart. Her soft, handsome features, and golden curls painted her as quite an elegant creature. To dinner Ms. Hart wore a deep blue silk down, which paired nicely with her ocean blue eyes. She was a picture of Venus, some might say.