Chapter Nine

Violet could not help but smile as she bathed in the warm hug of the sun. Such beautiful sunny days were not always a guarantee living in England, so when they did, Violet was sure to enjoy it. She sat on the grass, surrounded by the Langley's garden, and breathing in the scent of fresh air and flowers.

Violet had been given an unexpected day off from governess-hood, as Mrs. Langley decided to take the children shopping for ribbons and shoes, without assistance. It was wrong of Violet to judge, but she could not help but wonder whether such a trip with her children was founded solely on motherly love. It seemed Mrs. Langley's interactions with her children relied on her occasional need to prove to her societal acquaintances just how attentive of a mother she was.

Either way, Violet had the entire day to her own, which was something. She basked in her own solitude, not as being lonely, but being peaceful. The song birds sang their soft ballads, while Violet read poetry in the comfort of the sun. Her only shade came from the brim of her bonnet, which was just enough to make reading an easy task.

Violet missed days like this. When her solitude was happy and her thoughts and tribulations were not a constant reminder of things she couldn't have. No Mrs. Langley. No Mr. Langley. No--

"Violet?"

Violet slammed her book shut, startled by the sudden approach of Edmund, who looked immensely handsome in a deep berry-colored coat.

"Mister--Edmund!" Violet exclaimed. She still was not quite used to calling him by his Christain name, yet it gave her an odd pleasure. She quickly scurried to her feet and clawed at her dress, fearing she looked a mess with bits of grass clinging to her skirts. If Edmund noticed, he did not say.

"I did not wish to interrupt your reading," Edmund said, motioning to the book, which Violet still clutched.

"I do not mind." Violet said. It was strange how only moments ago Violet had been utterly content in her solitude, enjoying the quiet company of her own thoughts. Yet, in Edmund's sudden presence, she felt a surge of excitement.

"It appears we are the only ones who have yet to venture off the grounds of the Langley estate," Edmund said. His warm eyes stayed steadfast on Violet's, making her blush.

"Indeed,"

"I was actually just about to walk into town, myself," Edmund said. "To give my letter to the postmaster." He held his folded letter up for Violet to see. The red wax seal shone in the sunlight, reminding Violet of blood.

"I'm sure a servant could send your letter for you." Violet said. A part of her did not wish to see Edmund leave so soon. But Edmund shook his head.

"I prefer to walk myself, and see to my letter's safety. Besides, I was hoping you would accompany me."

"You wish me to walk with you into town? I couldn't!" said Violet.

"I see." Edmund's hopeful expression fell from his face, causing Violet to realize how her words sounded.

"Not that I do not wish to walk with you, because I do," Violet said. Her words were hurried. "But, I fear what some would think to see a governess walking childless and unchaperoned with you."

Edmund nodded slowly and took a step closer to Violet. He smelled of warm masculinity and a clean, freshness, which Violet could not attach to anything besides his person.

"Violet, I am quite certain the strangers in town care not and know not what your or my station is," Edmund said with a confident smile. Violet was utterly aware at how close he was to her--one step closer and they'd be touching. Edmund's close vicinity to her was distracting, but Violet still took in his words. It was true, Violet rarely went into town and thus knew not many of the townspeople there. It was unlikely they would know who she and Edmund were as well...