Chapter Eighteen

Violet could not stop her mind from replaying the events of last night's ball, all through the early hours of the next morning. She felt unsettled, and rather cross with Edmund for making the night so uncomfortable. They hadn't said more than a word to one another since their argument; it was as if they were both afraid to speak to one another. But it was just as well. Violet needed time to think. She had claimed a small sitting room as her own at Kently House, where Edmund was not allowed to bother her. In a way, it reminded her of her old room at the Langley estate--small and cosy, with nothing but flowers in vases to make it beautiful.

"Ms. Blakely," Lilly called, bursting through Violet's solitude as she entered the room. Violet startled, nearly spilling the tea she was holding. She set it down with a soft giggle.

"Yes, Lilly?"

"I apologize for interrupting, but a letter just came for you," Lilly said. She held out a folded letter, crisp and white. Violet frowned, wondering who could possibly be writing to her. Even her own Mama did not yet know that she was now in London. But her heart nearly burst in understanding when her eyes studied the wax seal. It was the Langley seal, and the writing was most assuredly Mrs. Langley's.

"Thank you, Lilly," Violet said absently. Her fingers burned at the touch of the letter. She could only guess what atrocities were hidden beneath the folds of the paper. Lilly curtsied, and turned to leave, but not before bumping into the side of the doorway. She clumsily steadied herself, almost knocking over a nearby vase of flowers in the process.

"Oh!" Lilly shrieked. She outreached her arms and clutched the vase, holding it carefully in her hands before ensuring its safety back on the side table. The spectacle was enough to make Violet smile, if only for a moment.

She took a deep breath, and mustered every courage she had to break the seal and read Mrs. Langley's words. Perhaps, by the divinity of God, Mrs. Langley's words would actually be good. Perhaps, she would confess that she had reacted harshly. Perhaps not.

Dear Violet,

As you left with Mr. Langley, I can only assume he took you to his home in London, which is where I have sent this letter to. I can only hope, at least, that is where he took you, and not Scotland.....

Of course, Mrs. Langley feared Edmund had whisked her away to Gretna Green to marry.

.....I am not one to pretend pleasantries when none are present. I cannot be insincere, in all my faults, that is surely one you can respect in me. I will admit that a large part of my disapproval comes for your inequality. You and Mr. Langley are from two different worlds, and as such, your relationship is entirely inappropriate in my eyes. And for it to blossom, if you will, under my home, was an even larger blow. But none of this you doubt, I am sure, so I will tell you my other reasonings. I do not know what Mr. Langley has told you of my husband's financial issues. But if you are as intelligent as I believe you to be, you will know that my Alfred has found himself in rather dire gambling debts. It is not easy for me to admit, but it is my family's shame to bear.

What I doubt you know is that the man, Lord Albey, to whom my husband owes money, is of close relation to Ms. Hart. She is to inherit all of his fortune, and collect monies from his indebtors. Lord Albey has recently given your Mr. Langley a chance to mend these debts. By marrying Ms. Hart, Lord Albey will waive all debts owed by my husband. My family will be saved from ruin. And my children, whom I know you love dearly, will continue to live a good life, with solid places in society.

I ask you to let go of Edmund Langley not for my benefit or disapproval, but for the well-being of the children, and the Langley family. Alfred and Edmund Langley have always had a difficult relationship, but I fear this fracture, if it continues, will tear them apart forever. I know I behaved badly, but my husband is more forgiving than I am. Surely he must not suffer for my poor behavior. Neither should dearest Charlotte and Fredric, who would be forced out of their family home for ever.