Chapter Eleven

"Ay me, for aught that I could ever read, could ever hear by tale or history--

"The course of true love never did run smooth."

Violet looked up from her book in surprise, not intending for another voice to complete the quote. She had been reading A Midsummer Night's Dream to the children for some weeks now, yet little Charlotte and Fredric were too young to quote Shakespeare.

But of course, there he was, Edmund, standing in the doorway with a quiet smile on his face.

"Edmund," Violet said. "I did not know your were so well acquainted with Shakespeare." At the sound of his uncle's name, Fredric jumped to his feet and tackled Edmund with his tiny arms. Of course, at the fesh age of four, Freddy was still quite short, and thus he only managed to embrace his uncle's legs.

"I know a little of Shakespeare, let us not use the term 'well acquainted'." Edmund said with a chuckle. He scooped up Fredric in his arms and carried him over his shoulder to where Violet and Charlotte were sitting on the sofa. The way Edmund was looking down on Violet made her heart smile brightly. She opened her mouth to speak to him, but pressed her lips back together when Mrs. Langley and Ms. Hart appeared behind Edmund.

"We are reading in the drawing room today!" Charlotte said cheerfully to her mother, whose expression was that of surprise when she entered the room.

"I see," Mrs. Langley said, lacking any warmth in her words. Ms. Hart drifted to where Edmund stood with Freddy still in his arms.

"What an adorable child!" Ms. Hart cried, rubbing her finger against Freddy's plump cheeks. Violet, on the other hand, rose from her seat and straightened, heart pounding. Why did she fear Mrs. Langley so? Was it her constant vexed and judgemental dimenor? Or was it the ever looming threat of her authority to throw Violet out on the streets whenever she wished?

"And Miss Violet, why is it that you are reading here, in the drawing room?" Mrs. Langley asked. Her inquiry was innocent enough, yet her demeanor proved to be less than thrilled by Violet's presence. Violet, who had slipped into her nervous chattering, tried to quickly explain.

"Well, you see, the ceiling to the school room appears to be leaking--it is raining quite vigorously today. I placed a vase underneath the leak to collect the water, but I reckoned the conditions of the room were too poor to teach the children in," she explained.

"I see."

"It was also quite drafty."

Mrs. Langley, elegant as ever, carefully draped her tall figure on a nearby chair. Her hardened eyes were clearly unimpressed by Violet's excuses, yet she said nothing. Nobody said anything, as a matter of fact. All that could be heard was the pouring rain outside the window, pounding the ground with a beautiful violence, which only nature was capable of. Violet felt the pressure of her companions' silence pressing upon her chest, clearly feeling unwanted in the room. But just as she was about to suggest her leave with the children, Edmund said the most surprising of things.

"I believe a happy birthday is in order, Miss Violet."

"It is your birthday?" Ms. Hart asked. Her blonde ringlets bounced about her face at the inquiry.

"Yes," Violet said to Ms. Hart. Her eyes then wandered back to Edmund's. "How ever did you know?"

"Fredric might have mentioned it to me yesterday. You must be careful what you tell these children, as they share any bit of information given with the utmost ease." Edmund said with a foolish grin. Violet smiled at him, but when their gaze was caught by Ms. Hart, her eyes darted to the floor.