nineteen

Brianni.

I was making lunch for me and Zion when I got a call from my mom. As soon as I picked up the call she was emotional. "Baby... I need to sit down for this... Taela-"

"Nooo!" I cried before she could finish. "Mommy, she can't be!"

"She passed away this morning during the c-section." She cried harder. "Me and Brandi were debating on telling you this because of your pregnancy but I couldn't keep it from you. I know how close you two were."

Words got stuck in my mouth and I couldn't talk or breathe. I looked at my pants feeling them get wetter and the water dropped down my knees... my eyes widened. "ZION!"

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■

I woke up and noticed I was in the hospital. Zion was next to me and he kissed my hand when he saw I woke up. I felt my baby moving but it was feeling like he was right down my womb ready to pop out which was causing a lot of pain for me and the contractions were no help either. "I'm ready to have this baby, right now!"

"I know baby, but the doctor has to make sure everything is all good for him to come out okay. Hang in there, please." He gave my hand another gentle kiss.

I thought about Taela, how she didn't get to have this because of a selfish nigga. I started crying thinking about her "Hey hey hey, don't think about that right now. Think about our beautiful baby boy. Let's decide on some names." He tried distracting me.

"She's gone, Zion.... Taela's dead." I cried. "What if I die too? I'm scared. A lot of women die during birth, especially black women."

"Shhhh... I'm here baby. I'm not gonna let you happen okay? We got the best doctors here. You're safe." He gave me a soft kiss. "I appreciate you so much for this. I know you didn't want a child before marriage so this is a huge compromise and I'm gonna give you all of that baby. I promise you."

I smiled through my tears and looked into his eyes. I knew he was scared just as I was because no matter how much we can comfort ourselves about it, this is the one moment where we both can't control if I live or not. "I don't want to give birth in this hospital. I want a natural water birth at home. Please take me home, Zion." I pleaded with him.

He gave me that look he always gives me when he wants to give me what I want but he can't, because he's very careful when it comes to my safety and he's been saying he doesn't feel comfortable with natural home labor because he's scared that something might go wrong but I don't feel safe in the hospital especially with the rising percentage of black women dying during birth.

He could see the fear in my eyes and nodded. "I'll get the paperwork ready and tell my mom to call friend that she recommended for us."

"Thank you, baby." I smiled pleased that at least be I'll be at the comfort of my home when this happens. I couldn't get Tae out of my mind. She was so excited about motherhood then this happens. It scared me so much I couldn't stop crying because of the damn hormones and the thought of never seeing her again.

When we finally arrived home, I wanted my sister and mom here with me but I knew they couldn't, especially not after the tragic news.

I wonder if Hakim knows already and is he okay? As much as I want to hate him and hurt him, I know he will regret this for the rest of his life when he looks at his daughter every day knowing she will be deeply hurt because of him.

The midwife finally arrived and set everything up. She told us how she owed  Mrs K a favour and she previously told her to stay indoors and safe the whole month ahead for her safety of her first grand baby. I was happy she had arranged this for us. Zion set up a Zoom meeting with my mom & sister and his mom & sister, he was so helpful throughout the whole process, I felt blessed.