40- Final

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

Kim Yeo-Reom's Pov.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

The atmosphere was cool as we arrived at the foot of the hill where the cemetery was based.

I linked my arm through Chan-Yeol's, who squeezed my wrist reassuringly as we followed the newlyweds up the white, marble steps ascending further into the cemetery.

Our heels made too much noise in the still surroundings that even the birds seemed to find no desire to disturb and our nervous breathing interrupted the peaceful rest of the many around us.

 It felt as if a thousand eyes followed our every move as we continued upwards until we reached the right gravestone, ivy growing around the headstone, the words slightly faded.

Ri-Ya knelt down, her hands wiping away the hints of dust on the dark stone, cleaning away the built up weeds that had begun to grow and brushing away the dead flowers the lay on top of the small plot of land dedicated to the soul we'd lost. 

I joined her silently, staring at the face engraved into the marble headstone with some apprehension. 

Ri-Ya's one hand covered mine firmly holding onto it as my other hand started forward to trace the name carved, "Kim—"

The slamming of a car door interrupted me and all of us turned to the third car that should have followed us earlier but fell behind for whatever reason. Two figures emerged from the car, racing up the steps with impressive speed considering the woman was in heels. "Sorry we're late, there was a mishap with the firework arrangements."

Ri-Ya sighed rolling her eyes, her smile playful, "Just place the flowers down."

"Yah! I'm older than you, where is your respect?" Ma-Ra laughed dodging around her twin to place the flowers on top of the grave, "Mom, have you been well?"

Kim So-Young. Eternal, beautiful and prosperous. That was what my grandfather had wished for his daughter when naming her and it came true. 

She had been beautiful, not only in our memories and but in every photograph too. She had been successful, at least she was  to some extent, now that Ma-Ra had bought out our old home and found abandoned art portraits our mother had painted...and she was eternal in our hearts.

No one had much to say out loud but unspoken words conveyed more than literal words ever could. We all felt the need to apologise to the mother we had abandoned for so long, we all held guilt in our hearts for tainting her memory with broken recollections and fictional anecdotes. But in the end, we also knew we were forgiven.

"We should get back to the party, the fireworks will start soon." Min-Seok murmured wrapping his wife into his arms. 

Ri-Ya hummed before turning away, "He's right, we should go. We'll come to visit again soon."

The couple walked ahead, down the steps and back into their cars, driving back to their wedding to enjoy the rest of it.

"I'll see you soon, next time I'll bring you something to drink too," Ma-Ra playfully spoke into the open, looking up at the sky before winking in my direction. She rearranged the flowers she'd brought with her, her sleeve riding up to display the still healing burn scar on her wrist. 

She never really did mention what happened that night in the scrap yard; all we knew is that Suho got the worst of the impact because he'd shielded Ma-Ra. After that, the pair became somewhat inseparable, even going as far as forming a permanent alliance and throwing around the possibility of a formal union of the two gangs.

Suho held out his hand for Ma-Ra as we approached the steps, helping her lift her dress as she walked back to the car.

Back at the venue, no one had noticed our little trip; champagne kept flowing and laughter kept floating into the rising night as the music became louder and the dances sloppier.

"Yeo-Reom-Ah," Chan-Yeol stopped me before I entered the tent, his cheeks slightly dusted with pink as he held out his palm, "Dance with me?"

My lips tilted up in amusement, "I thought you weren't the dancing type." 

I accepted his hand letting him draw me in, his one hand coming to rest at my waist, his chin resting against the crown of my head, "We can change for the people we love..."

I breathed in his smell, pulling him closer, "Tell me that again."

Chan-Yeol pulled back a bit to glance at my face, "Tell you what again?"

The DJ announced through the microphone that it was time for the firework display to begin; the bustling crowd started to pile out into the field, their voices merging with the croaking of crickets in the grass.

"Tell me that you love me again," I demanded.

The countdown for the fireworks began with a large timer being projected into the sky and the crowd beginning to chant, the newlyweds stepping to the front, their eyes only focused on each other.

"Ten!"

"Tell me again." I nudged Chan-Yeol, whose smile stretched into a teasing smirk,

"Seven!"

I pushed his shoulder playfully, wiggling out of his embrace, "If you won't say it, then I'm going back inside."

"Four!"

Of course he brought me back to him, his hands cupping my red cheeks, his thumb tracing my bottom lip, "My Summer's Breeze,"

"One!" The crowed screamed.

"I love you."

The erupting fireworks lit up everyone under the night sky, in every colour we could imagine.

No one was afraid of anything in that moment. We were all blissful, all stupidly in love with each other and with life, entranced by the sky and the stolen kisses we shared in the dark. We were happy. All was well.

For now.