14

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

Park Chan-Yeol's Pov.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

"Don't go around saying useless things; get straight to the point, ask the question and go. Don't waste her time," Kyung-Soo ordered, glaring at me darkly from his driver's seat.

"Okay, okay, I get it, relax!" I snapped back at Kyung-Soo, raising my hands in the air defensively.

After three days of begging, Kyung-Soo finally had enough of me and agreed to let me briefly meet his wife to ask if she knows anything about what happened to Kim Yeo-Reom. 

He had been very firm about how things would go down; no weapons would be allowed, we would go in together, I'd be as quiet as possible, I'd ask my questions and then I'd leave as quickly as I came. No funny business and no dawdling. He didn't play games when it came to his family.

Kyung-Soo lived away from the EXO manor, with his family in a two-storey house that resided in Red Lotus territory, as per his wife's request. It was a simple home, with a white picket fence and a toy slide in the front yard. Flowerboxes hung under the windows but instead of flowers, they contained children's toys, and a squiggly cat was drawn on the white front door, googly eyes stuck on it. The house matched the family well; it helped them blended into society almost too well. You'd never have guessed the number of people the adults had killed.

We walked up the pebble path and I found myself smiling down at the some of the carelessly painted stones, mixed in with the rest.

"Be quiet when we go in too, A-Reum might be asleep," Kyung-Soo warned me, unlocking the door and letting me step inside before him.

The house was incredibly warm, the hallway dark but there was a light up ahead from the kitchen. It was quiet too, peaceful, a savoury smell wafted through the air towards us. 

I slipped off my shoes, accepting the slippers Kyung-Soo passed me, walking after him, my heartbeat speeding up almost nervously as I caught soft music playing up ahead, sweet jazz turned down as low as the music player would allow.

"Kyung-Ah? Is that you?" The velvet voice of Kyung-Soo's wife called softly, her head poking out from the side of the doorway.

She was a very beautiful woman, always smiling and welcoming. I didn't know her well; Kai and Yi-Xing visited the Do's more than the rest of us, but I knew she was eloquent and intelligent, suiting Kyung-Soo well. 

I only remembered her name because Kyung-Soo had her saved as My Star in his phone. Her name was Do Byul, code name Día.

"Yeah, it's me. Sorry about the short notice, I didn't think he'd wear me down, but Chan-Yeol is very persistent," Kyung-Soo cupped her cheek, kissing her forehead and wrapping his arm around her waist as they made their way back into the kitchen.

"I don't mind, I got off work early so I had some time to spare," She turned to smile at me kindly, her expression a stark contrast to Kyung-Soo's annoyed frown, as she held out two bowls of soup, "Come and eat with us, you probably haven't had a homecooked meal in a long time."

I followed after them, standing beside the dining table awkwardly, Kyung-Soo burning holes into my face trying to discourage me from accepting, but I chose to ignore him and nod at Byul instead with a beaming grin, "I'll stay just for dinner then."

I sat down in the chair Día gestured to, opposite Kyung-Soo who opted to kick my shin under the table as Día placed a steaming bowl of soup in front of me, "Eat lots, it's spicy beef soup."