Chapter Thirty

── CAPTAIN'S RETURN ──

── ──

Alessia stands in the shadows of the room as Rhodey deals with the red tape in the holographic person of Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross. "Still no word from Vision?" Ross asks as he fiddles with an item in his hands. "Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh," Rhodey tells him with a sigh getting a look of disappointment from the older man.

"On a stolen Quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals," Ross states causing Alessia to quietly scoff as Rhodey raises his brows, "You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?"

Alessia tuned out of their conversation focused on recharging her energy from the Avengers Compounds electricity, she used some of the power to locate Tony, Strange and Peter but she could only feel the distant hum of Tony's suit.

The fugitive Avengers enter the room, Vision supported by Sam gaining Alessia's attention at the spark of the mind stone, her own powers preparing as though the stone was warning her of something she already knew. "Mr Secretary," Steve says as he stands tall.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that," Ross states as he glares at the former Avengers. Nat shrugged it off, "You could use some of that right now." Ross scoffed as the others at the hologram board table watched intently, "The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

Alessia rolled her eyes as she stopped siphoning energy from the building, fixing her shirt before standing up straight. "I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight," Steve says as he takes a step forward, looking right at Ross, "And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

Ross orders Rhodey to arrest them before Rhodey swipes off the hologram making him fade, "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap." Steve and Rhodey hugged one another before Nat stepped forward to pull him into her embrace.

"Well. You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years," Rhodey says making Steve smile as they conversed while Bruce and Alessia looked at each other before nodding and stepping out into the former Avengers view.

"Uh, I think you look great," Bruce says, Rhodes and Natasha turn around to see Bruce walking in from the opposite end of the room, "Uh... heh... Yeah. I'm back." Nat smiled and the two greeted each other as Alessia appeared behind him, "Hello family."

Steve smiled widely as he opened his arms for the powerful sorceress, she smiled before practically jumping into his arms letting out a content sigh. "Good to see you, sister," Steve says in a whisper before he places Alessia back on the ground, looking her over as she waved at the others.

"Shouldn't you be with your husband?" Sam asks with a smirk making her shrug, "Tony needed some help, clearly." The former Avengers nodded in agreement before they made their way into another room.