Chapter Fifteen

TRAUMA LIMITED

─ TRAUMA LIMITED ─

── ──

They all made their way onto the quinjet, Bucky not once letting go of Alessia as he sat down, holding Alessia against his chest. "Shhh, you're okay." He rubbed Alessia's back soothing her as they lifted off of the ground. Alessia snuggled into Bucky's chest as she faded in and out of consciousness throughout the flight. Bucky and Steve insisted that Alessia let Bruce check her over before going to get cleaned up. She agreed to it because she knew they wouldn't stop asking after her. She made her way into her room, having to push Steve and Bucky out.

She climbed into the shower, letting the hot water run over her scarred body as she leaned her forehead against the wall. Flashes of memories consumed her mind, yellow tinge filled the room around her. She looked around as fear filled her mind, she dropped to the bathtub and covered her ears like a scared child. She began crying uncontrollably as her power vibrated against the walls. "Alessia!? Are you okay?" Alessia let out a shaky breath as Bucky spoke on the other side of the door.

"Doll, talk to me.." Bucky spoke softly, scared he might spook her. Letting out short quick breaths, "Can you..." she tried to focus her breathing. "Can I what?" He asked, his voice wavered. She closed her eyes, "Can you just talk to me... about anything?" She leaned back against the wall. "Alright, I remember one of the first fights I saved Steve from when he was a scrawny kid with a list of medical issues-" He continued talking, her body relaxed as he spoke highly about his best friend.

Once she had finally calmed down, the yellow tinge left the room and she had enough energy to get up and wrap a towel around herself. She opened the door slowly, Bucky didn't even bother to look down at the girl in the towel, his focus was purely on her eyes which made her smile softly. He gave me a small smile, "Want me to dry and brush your hair?" She nodded as they walked into the room. She sat down on a chair, Bucky picked up another towel and began drying her hair.

Alessia closed her eyes feeling relaxed at this moment, despite the sinking feeling in the pit o her stomach after everything she went through. "Can I request something?" Bucky asked once he finished drying her hair with the towel. "Depends..." She spoke quietly. He sighed to himself, "Can you sing something for me?" She smiled knowing that her singing relaxes him and herself in any hard times and so she focused on a song that they both adored.

You got a fast car,
I got a plan to get us outta here,
I've been working at a convenience store,
Managed to save just a little bit of money,
Won't have to drive too far,
Just 'cross the border and into the city,
You and I can both get jobs,
And finally, see what it means to be living...

Bucky was done brushing through her hair, she hadn't even noticed that he had braided it. She turned around to look at Bucky as his expression held nothing but joy and passion. She smiled at him before letting out a yawn, "Come on, you need to get changed and into bed." She nodded as he got up and headed to the door, "Call out if you need me." She yawned again before changing into some warm pyjamas. Quickly climbing under the soft covers of her bed, curling herself up into a comfortable ball before dozing off into a painful terror-filled sleep.

── ──

One month later

Alessia jumped up screaming as sweat dripped down her face, She ripped the blankets off as the door opened. Steve and Bucky raced in with worried looks on their faces as she lowered her gaze to take deep breaths. She heard footsteps coming towards her, a hand reached out towards her which only made her flinch back from them.

Her body began to shake as she held her knees to her chest noticing it was Bucky who reached for her, Steve sat down at the end of the bed. "She's still scared," A voice spoke from the door. "We know Sam," Steve answered back with a sigh. "It'll take her time to heal from it," Sam added sympathetically. She kept her eyes on her knees. "Hey Doll..." Bucky's soothing voice caught her attention.

She let out an unsteady breath as her hands shook and energy coursed through her veins. "I don't wanna be like this," She couldn't even recognise her own voice as she shook violently. "Like what?" Bucky asked softly, she lifted her head as her eyes glowed with her hands that she held out. "A monster..." She whispered, Bucky reached out for her hand. "Don't!" She pulled them behind her knees.

He looked at her with a pained expression, "Why?" Tears fell down her face, "I don't want to hurt you..." His face softened as he let out a quiet sigh, "Doll, listen to me, you know you won't hurt us but I understand why you are worried." She took in a deep shaky breath, as he held out his metal hand, "We can take it slow, damage to this arm won't hurt me."

Bucky held out his metal arm, "In order to get better, you need to step out of the safety blanket." She knew that she was self-isolating away from them, she knew it was hurting them as they struggled to find ways to help her. She knew she wasn't allowing them the opportunity to help her, she kept pushing them away at every chance she got.

Her nightmares were getting worse, she couldn't eat without throwing up and she'd already destroyed half of her room due to her unstable powers. She constantly felt the searing pain from all of the injections. She felt every punch and kick that hit her when they made her train. She felt every slice the knife left tenderly against her skin, every scar left as a reminder. She felt the sensation of power that she both craved and feared. But nothing hurt her more than the feeling of Anderson's hands on her skin.

She looked up into Bucky's eyes, she knew he was right but as Sam said, she was scared. She was scared that she'd hurt someone she cared deeply about. She's scared of losing herself to the mystery of power that seared throughout her body taunting her to let it free. She let out a deep breath before reaching out, hovering her hand above his metal hand, she hesitated but he stayed still not wanting to spook her.

She couldn't bear to watch the scene, she closed her eyes as she moved her hand onto Buckys. Their palms flat against each other, neither of them dared to move. She wouldn't move out of fear while he wouldn't move out of respect. She slowly opened her eyes, staring at their hands which left her stunned silent as she watched in amazement. She looked up at Bucky, his eyes focused only on her eyes.

She carefully and slowly pulled her hand away. "That's enough for today..." She spoke before pulling her knees back to her chest. "That's fine Doll, you can take your time..." He smiled at her before standing up. "Let's us know if you need anything," Steve finally spoke up and she nodded at him, "I think I want to be alone now though." The three nodded at her before making their way out.

Bucky stopped at the door and turned to her, "I mean it Doll if you need me at all, even just to sit in silence." She couldn't fight the grin as she nodded, a sweet smile resting on his face as he closed the door behind him. She reached for the blankets, pulling them over herself as she looked outside to the beautiful velvet blue sky filled with glistening balls of gas.

She began to focus on the memories in her head, the late nights on the balcony with her brother, the sweet dates with Bucky despite their situation in a cell, the Sunday game nights with the crew, late-night talks with Steve and the few movie nights she had with the Avengers. The suffering and torment of Anderson will take a while to get past, her past with Hydra may be the reason why she can see the positives.

She expects to have occasional panic attacks and she knows that she will continue having nightmares but she is surrounded by people who want to help her and that was more than enough for Alessia Hart. Starting tomorrow, she'll take the first steps and leave her room. Each day she'll allow herself to slowly find herself again, She doesn't want to let this tear her down. She let out a shaky breath as her body gave in to exhaustion. She curled up under the blankets, hoping for dreams over nightmares.

── ──

-Rose <3
{1536}