Welcome (Back) to Ninja Village!

Start from the beginning

"It makes me very happy to see both my brothers doing so well."

"So, Frogadier evolved into a Greninja," Nihei observed.

"It's gotten really strong!"

"Gren!"

Ippei finally turned to acknowledge the newcomers. "And who are they, Sanpei?" (Zenith had to admit, the large group dressed in bright colors looked very strange amid the soft earthy tones of the village. She couldn't blame the eldest brother for being confused, though she hoped he'd recognize them after a moment.)

"I'd like you both to meet my friends!" Sanpei turned to let everyone introduce themselves.

"Hi there! I'm Ash, and there are my partners Pikachu and Frogadier!"

"Pi-ka-chuu."

"Froga-di-er!"

"And that's my brother, Red," he pointed to the trainer in question, who dipped his head.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Serena."

"My name's Bonnie. This is Dedenne, Eevee, and this is Squishy! I get to look after all three of them until I'm old enough to become a trainer!"

"Dene!"

"Eeev!"

"Dloo-loo," Squishy chirped.

"And I'm Bonnie's brother, Clemont. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too," Ippei returned.

Zenith made a sweeping gesture to her siblings. "It sure has been a while since we last visited..."

Nihei's face lit up with recognition first. "Sawyer sisters! It certainly has been a while. I've heard you've all become prominent trainers."

Ippei nodded. "Ah yes, the quadruplets. I take it you've all graduated from beginner trainers by now?" He asked with a wry smile.

"Sure did. Champion and Kalos Queen Zenith here, and this is Star!"

"You'd better remember my name, but I'm Shadow- this is Nyx- and I'm a trainer and assistant of Professor Sycamore."

"Nihei, you've got to remember me: Crystal, the sister with the Froakie? Greninja is my partner now, and this is Melody! I'm a trainer and performer, and I also own a bakery!"

"Pine, owner of the best battle facility in Lumiose City, trainer and Pokemon coordinator. This is Pepper."

The younger of the two brothers grinned. "Of course I remember you all, and Froakie sure has grown into a fine Greninja. I expected nothing less." He turned to the rest of our heroes. "I'm Nihei, Sanpei's older brother."

"And I'm Ippei, their oldest brother."

"Hi!" Ash greeted again.

"Pika pika."

A new, elderly voice came from behind the brothers, crowd parting to let a man through, a much taller pinkette following him. Both were in traditional festival outfits with sandals on. "Friends of Sanpei are friends of ours, too! My name's Hanzo, and I bid you all welcome."

"Chief Hanzo!" Crystal was practically gushing at this point, flooded with nostalgic memories and a surge of her appreciation for traditional cultures.

"Greetings, Chief!" Sanpei exclaimed. "I've just gotten back home!" Greninja nodded at his side.

"Welcome back! Saizo has told me just how hard you've been training."

"Really?"

"Indeed, and about your friends. And Sawyer sisters, it's a pleasure to see you here again after all this time."

"Thanks, Chief!"

Ash perked up. "Really? He did that?"

"Hey Clemont, what does 'chief' mean?" Bonnie asked, looking up at her older brother.

"It means leader."

"So he's the head ninja? That's awesome!" She had stars in her eyes.

Hanzo nearly blushed. "Oh now, now, come on... You're embarrassing me!" He let out a laugh, though it quickly turned into a cough.

The pink-haired woman at his side leaned down to help steady him. "Oh, chief, are you alright? Please relax."

"I'm fine. You're sweet to be concerned, Shinobu. Perhaps I've caught a cold!" He hugged her tightly, but she suddenly disappeared in a puff of smoke. "Oops."

"It's a ninja body switch!" Sanpei exclaimed.

(Like magic, but not, Zenith remembered.)

Bonnie's eyes lit up with even more stars. "Amazing!!!"

"De-neeeee!"

Shinobu greeted them. "My name's Shinobu, and I'm the chief's assistant! Nice to meet you."

"You're a keeper! Yay, Shinobu!" Bonnie ran up to her and got on one knee, much to the chagrin of Clemont. Pine looked away purposefully. "Will you please take care of my brother!?"

"De-ne-ne-ne!"

"Ah..." The poor woman seemed very confused.

"Nobody could take better care of Clemont than you! You'd make me so happy!"

Shinobu only laughed as Clemont dragged her back. "Please Bonnie, stop!"

"Aw, come on!" The blonde pouted.

Shinobu approached them. "Thank you. I realize that I look very young, so people simply assume that I'm young, but..." She seemed to shift into an old woman, hair graying and body shrinking and slouching over in mere seconds. Even her voice grew older and shakier.

"Shinobu is actually one hundred years old!" Hanzo explained.

Both Bonnie and Clemont scrambled away with wide eyes and shocked expressions. "Why don't we just forget about it..."

Shinobu seemed to shift back into her young self again. "You're so sweet, honest, too!"

The blonde siblings both fell to their knees. "Ninjas are amazing..."

~

Agreed, Bonnie and Clemont. Agreed.

Goodbye for now,

Zenith