21. A Game of Cat & Mouse

Start from the beginning

Unlike Dae Ho and Shadow, Yoon has never killed anyone. He only works with technical issues they usually face during work. The man has a semblance to Haneul, often trying to uplift the mood in the room. He's not as deep into the crime business as Dae Ho, more of a reason to quit before it's too late. Yoon could start a fresh life, but he's stubborn about staying with them. It's frustrating but reassuring as well.

Dae Ho pads to the dustbin and retrieves the papers. He snorts at the messy titles and poorly drawn doodles. Before anything, Choi Yoon would need to get a good designer to start his project.

━━━━━━✦❪✥❫✦━━━━━━

"Appa, can I go to Uncle Binnie's house today?"

"Umm..."

"Pwease!" Soomin bats her lashes, hands coming together in plea and lips curling into a pout. And Haneul has always been weak for his child's antics.

"Alright, I'll tell Ms. Dajun to drop you off after school." The father smiles, parting Soomin's hair and tying it into pigtails. He reaches for his mobile phone from his overcoat pocket and dials a number.

"Hello?"

"Seulgi noona, do you have any plans for today?"

The woman on the other line chuckles. "Haneul, yes, you can drop Minnie at our place today. Stop being so formal every time, you know you can leave her with us anytime you want."

Haneul smiles, the simple words make his heart warm. "Thank you, noona. I'll pick her up on my way back from the hospital."

"And I'm not letting that happen. You'll come and have dinner with us." The doctor's sister-in-law demands.

"But—"

"No arguments Haneul, your brother would appreciate your company too. It's been some time since we all got together."

"Alright, I have an appointment after work but I'll be there before dinner." Haneul holds the phone between his shoulder and ear, putting on Soomin's shoes. "I'll see you soon."

━━━━━━✦❪✥❫✦━━━━━━

"Take a left turn from here." Dae Ho hears Yoon instruct through his earpiece. "He's not moving, you'll find him somewhere near  Dosan Memorial Park. Don't know what he's doing there."

"Alright." Dae Ho grips the steering wheel with one hand and adjusts his black cap with the other, his heart beating in an irregular rhythm with every passing second. They've split into two, Shadow and Pandora in one car and Dae Ho driving his Audi. He stops at the entrance, switching off the engine. He puts on his gloves, storing a handgun in the inside pocket of the leather jacket he's wearing, and slips a pocket knife into his combat boot. Taking a deep breath, Dae Ho exits the car and walks towards the red dot displayed on the screen of his mobile phone. He glances at his surroundings, fortunately, not many people are present.

"You've arrived at your destination," the operator announces. Dae Ho stills, looking around for the man who ruined his life years ago.

"Be careful."

Dae Ho nods even if Shadow cannot see him. "I know." He walks with feather-light steps, keenly observing the individuals around him. A couple is taking selfies, and a dog sleeping at the end of the tree behind them. A few boys run around playing catch. Dae Ho walks past them, stopping when he spots Vee sitting on a wooden bench. The man is slouched, a mobile phone in his hands.